dithers

gadazobe

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Ever since I moved my cichlids into a bigger tank they have become scaredy cats and wouldn't come out of their caves, so I decided to get some dithers and today I put 3 apollo sharks in with them. The sharks are nearly fully grown (about 6-7" each) and it's worked a treat. :) Curiousity got the better of the cichlids and they all turned out to check out the new inhabitants. Right now they're all swimming around checking out each other. The sharks have only been in the tank for half an hour but there's definitely a difference. I can actually see my fishies now :p :D

gadazobe said:
The sharks are nearly fully grown (about 6-7" each)
Appolo sharks (Luciosoma spilopleura) get a bit bigger than that,10 to 11 inch is their biggest.Not sure if theyre the best fish to use as dithers for cichlids as they can be quite skittish and prefer a heavily planted tank but i suppose theyre quick enough to get out of the cichlids way so it might be ok.

Yep, I noticed that they're quite skittish - feeding time they nearly jump out of the tank - it's like show dolphins jumping for food :D - also if they get startled they jump. Good thing I have a heavy tank top.

The tank is a 5 foot one and has African cichlids - (electric yellows, aulonocaras, juli transcriptus, and a large plec) The cichlids that I have are considered amongst the more peaceful African ones, and so far, everything's ok. The sharks tend to keep to the upper level of the tank and the cichlids down below.

Most reactions

Back