Discus

wazza

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Feb 26, 2008
Messages
165
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
liverpool
Hello again i am just after a bit of advice . Would i be able to put discus in my tropical tank with other tropical fish .It is a 6x2x2 tank If any one has any views it would be very helpful thanks wazza .
 
Depends on the other fish... I keep mine with angels, cardinal tetra, rummynose tetra, corries, L66 and head and tail light tetra. They will not work with Tiger Bqarbs as an example :good:

All the best
Rabbut
 
Depends on the other fish... I keep mine with angels, cardinal tetra, rummynose tetra, corries, L66 and head and tail light tetra. They will not work with Tiger Bqarbs as an example :good:

All the best
Rabbut
Thanks for replying ihave angels /sillver dollars /silver sharks /red lined torpido barbs /golden barbs /clowns /some tetras / some L numbers nothing nasty are they hard to look after ie water /food/heat ect thanks wazza
 
Silver dollars will stress discus, they are too fast and will keep them on constant edge. T/B disus can be trained to live with them is bought small, but small discus=hard work. Wild fish and adult T/B fish won't tollerate them, as they have learnt to associate fast movement with danger :nod: Same problem with silver sharks and red lines I'm afraid. Golden barbs should be fine, though I'd get a second opinion on that.

What L numbers do you have. Some will latch for the slime coat, others won't...

If you want to go down the discus route, get rid of all your fish excluding possibly the l-no plecs and gold barbs. Otherwise buy small fish under 3inches, and be ready for 50% every other day or 30% daily waterchanges untill they get to 5inches (2 months). They will also need feeding 4-5 times a day untill 5 inches in size :good:

HTH
Rabbut
 
Silver dollars will stress discus, they are too fast and will keep them on constant edge. T/B disus can be trained to live with them is bought small, but small discus=hard work. Wild fish and adult T/B fish won't tollerate them, as they have learnt to associate fast movement with danger :nod: Same problem with silver sharks and red lines I'm afraid. Golden barbs should be fine, though I'd get a second opinion on that.

What L numbers do you have. Some will latch for the slime coat, others won't...

If you want to go down the discus route, get rid of all your fish excluding possibly the l-no plecs and gold barbs. Otherwise buy small fish under 3inches, and be ready for 50% every other day or 30% daily waterchanges untill they get to 5inches (2 months). They will also need feeding 4-5 times a day untill 5 inches in size :good:

HTH
Rabbut
Hello again my Lnumbers are L66 /L75 /L18 GOLDEN NUGGET / CANT GET RID OF MY FISH went everywhere for good size fish cost me arm and leg for them .Can you help me out i dont no much about discus what is a t/b discus might have to start a discus tank just to get on my wifes nerves LOL she hates my fish .ihave a big kio pond aswell ha ha
 
T/B is tank bread :good:

L66 are fine IME

L75, I don't know will be the short answer

L18 are a no-no IME, they have latched onto my discus numerous times while I tryed to remove them.

If you are going down the disucs route, get a 4X2X2 foot tank and get yourself good filters. Once you have the tank, try to copy the maintanance routien an equipment set-up of someone whom is already keeping disucs successfully. Before doing theis, research like carzy untill you can answer any discus question without doing further resaerch. If the copied set-up doesn't work for you the research will give you a gut feeling as to what is wrong :nod: Follow your gut if there is a problem :good:

As an example of a working set-up, mine has two Tetratec EX1200 exturnals, plumed in parallel running all standord media, excluding the top box. This has one bio-sponge and then a two grade floss pad. I alternate cleanings of the filters to one a month, though they don't realy need cleaning that often :nod: For heating, I have a Hydor in-line 300W heater set to 30c on one of the filter return pipes. The inlet is at one end of the tank and the outlet at the other, aimed to cross the centre, and modified to accept a venturi that I run, without the spray bar :good:

I use tap water, pH 7.5 GH 8, KH about 4, and do a 50% weekly. I currently have just two, but I'm buying 6 hopefully on Thursday :nod: They are in the noisiest room in the hourse, and thus are very bold, comming up to great even complete strangers. They react very differently to different members of family and friends. They line up to be fead when I approach and dart for cover when my brother does the same :lol: for my mum and dad, they great and then go back to what they were doing :shifty:

They are fassinating creatures, they realy are.

You realy want a minimum group of 5, or two alone, or agression levels will rise

HTH
Rabbut
 
T/B is tank bread :good:

L66 are fine IME

L75, I don't know will be the short answer

L18 are a no-no IME, they have latched onto my discus numerous times while I tryed to remove them.

If you are going down the disucs route, get a 4X2X2 foot tank and get yourself good filters. Once you have the tank, try to copy the maintanance routien an equipment set-up of someone whom is already keeping disucs successfully. Before doing theis, research like carzy untill you can answer any discus question without doing further resaerch. If the copied set-up doesn't work for you the research will give you a gut feeling as to what is wrong :nod: Follow your gut if there is a problem :good:

As an example of a working set-up, mine has two Tetratec EX1200 exturnals, plumed in parallel running all standord media, excluding the top box. This has one bio-sponge and then a two grade floss pad. I alternate cleanings of the filters to one a month, though they don't realy need cleaning that often :nod: For heating, I have a Hydor in-line 300W heater set to 30c on one of the filter return pipes. The inlet is at one end of the tank and the outlet at the other, aimed to cross the centre, and modified to accept a venturi that I run, without the spray bar :good:

I use tap water, pH 7.5 GH 8, KH about 4, and do a 50% weekly. I currently have just two, but I'm buying 6 hopefully on Thursday :nod: They are in the noisiest room in the hourse, and thus are very bold, comming up to great even complete strangers. They react very differently to different members of family and friends. They line up to be fead when I approach and dart for cover when my brother does the same :lol: for my mum and dad, they great and then go back to what they were doing :shifty:

They are fassinating creatures, they realy are.

You realy want a minimum group of 5, or two alone, or agression levels will rise

HTH
Rabbut
Thanks a lot for your help .Ithink i will read up more about them more before i will get any thanks a lot that has been great help wazza
 

Most reactions

Back
Top