Discus Tankmates

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Robris

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I wanted to know what would make good tankmates for discus? The only thnig I know of is cardinals but is there anything else that would go good with them?

thanks

some cories can tolerate the higher temps, most tetra's who are nice and peaceful are fine

afaik the basic rules are that they are calm and peaceful. not even a little bit of aggression.

I prefer cories or chinese algae eaters. SOme loaches and plecos will try to take advantage of the nutrient rich mucus they secrete and start eating their sides. ANything non agressive should be fine however. Just watch them at times.

I prefer cories or chinese algae eaters. SOme loaches and plecos will try to take advantage of the nutrient rich mucus they secrete and start eating their sides. ANything non agressive should be fine however. Just watch them at times.

you would put a CAE with discus.. well thts just bad. as CAEs will suck onto anything once pst . also loaches will defo not suck the mucus of discus. Where as Common plecs and Gibbys, the Larger plecs may try to.. but with discus id never had such a huge waste producer like a common or gibby. Bn's will be fine, they keep the tank clean and are easy to keep. Also, Corys, and tetras, Danios, and even a Bkg are fine (if u have a big eough tank)

I keep a shoal of about 25 rummy noses with mine, as well as a few clean up fish consisting of cory's and bristle noses.

I did have a dozen cardinals but they started to vanish over night till there are only 2 that seem to be able to hide from the midnight snacking of the discus, watched them do it one night the little b*****s. I think the rummy noses are to quick for them, or don't taste as nice, as they seem to survive really well!

The reason I go with chinese algae eaters is because they are much more timid IMO. The discus and Angels I keep them with arent bothered by them. They also make one excellent dither fish for breeding. Rummys are great as well. And I know I said loaches and plecs suck slime in the same breath, but I meant loaches can be nippy at slower fish, and the plecos suck the mucus. Didn't mean both do.

here is a shot of the tank where my discus are going, prob in about a months time by the time I stain the wood and cycle the tank. Its a 4ft 55gal

New-Tank-1.jpg

Nice tank! And if the discus get boring you can always use those two remotes to "change the channel" :rolleyes: Good tank m8 good job.

Those are the super cobalt green hues, from Discus Madness in New Jersey. It's the only ones quite that brilliant I have ever seen. I will be buying 6 from them when they get them back in stock on july 15th.

Hmm what are your experiences with them guys? I wonder why they seemed to work for me, and what will they do if they "snap"?

Well I haven't had any experiences with Discus and them, but at my pet store i saw a smaller one getting pretty aggresive in a tiger barb tank> Other then that i'm going with what i've heard about the bad temperment of the fish but I no more stories to tell...

They will most likely pounce up from the bottom at the Discus, won't happen until they get big though. They will also most likely end up sucking the slime coating off the Discus.

Most reactions

Back