Discus still not eating

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I made thread before about my discus not eating , i had 2 angels 4 discus and 2 silver dollars in my tank, most of member say i have to remove angel but after i remove the angels. He still not eating i mean hes not skinny. Pls help

Silver dollars are a shoaling fish, having said that they seem a little rambunctious for discus as they are a more active same sized fish that inhabit the same tank area as discus and silver dollars are also more opportunistic active feeders who are outcompeting discus for food. Discus can be real finicky and tempermental shy and are slow moving slow feeding fish the silver dollars are eating its food.
If i had a 50 dollar fish like a discus id make sure i was doing all i could to make sure it felt happy and safe.
Get rid of the angels and silver dollars, neither of those fish are good with discus and get some dither fish.
When larger slower fish like discusc see dither fish it signals to them that they are safe from predators and they feel more safe and comfortable.
Most people keep rummy nose tetras with discus because rummys are tight shoalers can do well in the same soft higher temp water and plus rummys nose give indication of water quality which discus are sensitive to.
Also what temp is your water. Discus need temps of 80 degrees and up, if lower they wont thrive, 80 and up can be a bit warm for silver dollars

Last edited:

88 is plenty warm for discus. Having said that my best guess would still be the silver dollars.
Silver dollars are active eaters and discus are slow eaters and the frentic feeding of the silver dollars probably makes the discus nervous plus doesnt give the discus opportunity to feed. Get rid of silver dollars get some small non nippy tetras like neons cardinals rummynose and your discus will feel safer and should eat.

28C is a better temperature for discus and angels.
I don't know what 28C is in F coz the new forum doesn't have a temp converter.

try different food. discus don't normally eat dry floating food so try frozen (but defrosted) foods like bloodworms, brineshrimp, mysis shrimp, marine mix (prawn, fish and squid).

try live adult brineshrimp or mosquitoe larvae.

make sure the silver dollars get plenty of plant matter in their diet.

discus are fine with dither fish and it actually helps them as long as the dithers don't harass them.

28C is a better temperature for discus and angels.

try different food. discus don't normally eat dry floating food so try frozen (but defrosted) foods like bloodworms, brineshrimp, mysis shrimp, marine mix (prawn, fish and squid).

try live adult brineshrimp or mosquitoe larvae.

make sure the silver dollars get plenty of plant matter in their diet.

discus are fine with dither fish and it actually helps them as long as the dithers don't harass them.
Calculator https://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm
I have try bloodworm, he is eating when im not looking

Yes it does, but it is not as easy to find as it used to be. The 'Useful Links' containing the calculator appears only on the whole forum page. It does not appear in each section, nor on a thread page. The easiest way to find it is to open a new tab with the whole forum page displayed then look on the right hand side. Aquarium Calculator is the first item in Useful Links.

TFF useful links.jpg

Or bookmark the link that Barry Tetra gave.

or find another forum coz I still can't deal with the white on this one

88 F = 31.1 C

Just google Farenheit to Celsius.

Having said that you can try blood worms daphnia shrimp, pellets, flake in my opinion the silver dollars are going to eat it all before your discus gets too it.

Silver dollars are very voracious feeders, just theyre feeding movement is going to scare your discus which are shy slow moving picky eaters anyway.

Discus also need live plants to feel safe, silver dollars eat plants and 88 degrees F is pretty warm for silver dollars, might even be a little on the warm side for discus.

Like i said before, i know you already got rid of your angels so probably dont want to get rid of silver dollars but im almost certain theyre the reason your discus isnt eating.

I agree, the Silver Dollars should not be combined in a tank with discus, nor angelfish for that matter. And they need a cooler temperature, 24-28C/74-82F is the range they tolerate so somewhere in the middle would suit them. And the SD being a characin needs a larger number (a group of 6 or more), but please don't do that in this tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back