Disappearing Goldfish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

channing

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
okay i need help!!
i have no idea what happened. my biggest goldfish who is about 2 inches long is gone. i mean he has disapeared into thin air. we moved all plants everything looking for him he was the biggest fish so nobody killed and ate him. plus we checked to make sure he didnt jump out it is a ten gallon with a full hood on it. any ideas he was really pretty :-( so any ideas would be great
thanks

Give us some more info. What is with your goldfish in the 10 gal tank.? Is it alone in the tank or any partner?.

Sucked into filter? died and dot buried in the gravel? formed an incredable escape plan and is now wearing a false 'tash' in a pond 4 miles away?

How many do you have? You should not have more than 1-2 juvi goldfish in a 10G and then have immediate plans for a MUCH LARGER tank.

How long did you go without looking at the tank? Did this fish disappear overnight or were you gone for a few days or ???

2" is not really big . What type of filter do you have?

Depending on his size, and that sounds quite small. My thought would be he is stuck in one of the filter tubes possibly depending on the type of filter you have and what the intake is like.

Depending on his size, and that sounds quite small. My thought would be he is stuck in one of the filter tubes possibly depending on the type of filter you have and what the intake is like.
It's a 95% chance he got caught in there. Take your filter apart and check. We also need to know what type of filter you have.

2" is not really big . What type of filter do you have?

You are correct that a 2" goldfish is not really big, compared to the fact that they should grow to 6-8" for round-bodied and 12"+ for long-bodied... but goldfish grow in 3-D, not just length.

The formula for goldfish is they grow in body mass by EIGHT times for every time they double their length so a 2" goldfish is equal to eight 1" goldfish. If you have 3 or 4 2" goldfish, it's equal to dozens of 1" goldfish. Then when it becomes a 4" goldfish, it's equal to eight 2" or 64 1" goldfish. This is why a 10G tank is not suitable for anything more than a temporary tank for goldfish. A 4" goldfish in a 10G tank is equal to 64 1" goldfish. Would you put 64 1" fish of any type in a 10G tank? When it reaches 6", it's equal to hundreds of 1" goldfish.

Ok

1) not every conversation about small goldfish has to turn into a slagging match about how much space the need when there fully grown.

2) The same things just happened to me! i bought 3, 2" koi in a LFS and put them in my 30G long (until the grow another inch or so then there big enuf for my koi pond), went round a friends and when i came back the Ghost mirror was missing. Long story short, the tank lid was on tight but i checked my entire room anyway, cleaned and checked the filter and moved the few plants that were in the tank then combed thru every inch of gravel! it isnt in the tank and it ist outside the tank!!

Maybe theres more than 1 reason there called 'Ghost' koi

Thats realy weird. Do you have any children in the house?

no way he could have gotten suck in the filter. the tube has a guard on a it. little spaces fat fish . :) as to him getting bigger i have a 29 that he was going in. i guess my black moor will be all by himself. the little guys are going in a whiskey barrel pond.
sorry bout your koi. its not fun to come home to as missing fish :(

Not very nice but reading this has made me laugh!
A random disappearing fish!

I did think the other day I'd lost one of my cory's -couldn't see it anywhere. Came down the following morning and it was sat on the bogwood.

I'd looked under the bog wood, moved all the decorations, checked the plants and filter.... so god knows where he'd gone (suspect under the sand but didn't think cory's burrowed).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back