Dijon Has Spawned

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lost 1 today, realy gutted.

My mini fridge went "T" up last week due to power failier(plus a vid recorder) So I lost all my live live food, apart from microworms. So I gave them some frozen blood worm.

Didn't think to cut them up? Cause all the live ones I have been feeding them have been quite small(didn't think) What a effin plonker I am.

The poor fish drowned cause it's mouth was so full of a defrosted bloodworm, it couldn't pass water through its gills.

After all this time, and not lossing a fry/young, other than my own stupidity at the start. Pass me a baseball bat please.

Please: Note to all newbies, like myself. Cut the food up if using frozen foods.

My mini fridge went "T" up last week due to power failier(plus a vid recorder) So I lost all my live live food, apart from microworms. So I gave them some frozen blood worm.

Didn't think to cut them up? Cause all the live ones I have been feeding them have been quite small(didn't think) What a effin plonker I am.

The poor fish drowned cause it's mouth was so full of a defrosted bloodworm, it couldn't pass water through its gills.

After all this time, and not lossing a fry/young, other than my own stupidity at the start. Pass me a baseball bat please.

Please: Note to all newbies, like myself. Cut the food up if using frozen foods.
Oh noo! :rip: Bless him/her! Well, I almost made the same mistake as you.... I fed a slightly cut up pea to one of my bettas, and it got stuck in her mouth. She almost drown, poor girl. :( But by distracting her with another piece of food, she managed to open wide enough to spit it out.

They look great, sorry for the loss. it can happen

The fry are developing nicely. Sorry about the loss. They can be greedy and do not understand the concept of picking at food rather than eating the entire piece. Poor thing.

Good luck with the rest of them.

This thread is amazing,

How many fry do you have now, are they becoming aggressive yet?

Sorry for the fry you lost.

I sometimes feed powdered blood worm.

Tortea

If you where using live foods this wouldn't happen, vinegar eals don't require refridgeration, nor does blackworms but shade does help......

Cut what up??
When you feed blackworms and have experience feeding blackworms(The live kind) they tear them apart key word here being TEAR, this will lead to the next quote and my point metaforly speaking maybe its a big word for me.....

The poor fish drowned cause its mouth was full of frozen water, not a solid rather a liquid! Here is why, a solid they chew very easy even if frozen, hence why most feed discus frozen food frozen how weird, but one thing is different between frozen food and frozen water and that is disapation of heat. A small chuck lets say of frozen water got stuck in the mouth of a baby(being more suseptible to it) or even an adult would play the same part, what happen was the water release its coolness lack of a better word, so disapates the heat being Cold water, it wasn't from choking that killed him its from the ice disolving in the water and foze the gills alowing the water to pass by, main point is this, it didn't die from the frozen food although it did help cause the problem the underline problem is not choking, babies, adults don't die from chocking atleast not fish they eat and chew it up, it was the chemical reaction from the ice in warm water chageing the temp inside the gills, stoped them to move there casing no water to pass through thats what killed it, not the food!

Easy solution, unfreeze the food before feeding, and I don't think anything I typed made any sence to me.......

A steel one or a wooden one???

I think you are better off putting it into a blender oh though your wife might kill you later if you forget to tell her, and make sure its NOT frozen when you give it to them

Cheers, don't worry you are still doing better than most hiprocrits here who think they know how to do something but really don't know, atleast you are not in the closet you know what I mean?? (hoping for a laugh on that one)

BTW:You are still doing fine, 1 death is better than some pros who end up with unxplained deaths at least you had an expert answer what you put up as a question without copy and paste hmm.....

Later dude your doing just fine, and really a baseball bat?? Why so much noise use a peace of spark plug white stuff it makes no noise, and makes for a good insurance claim to, you could say I didn't hear anything hit it.... LoL

Good Job, how much for new pictures $5.95 this time?? Just need your paypal account so i can transfer the money to you lol, good job!
good.gif

w00t.gif
w00t.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

So How many males and how many females you should be able to tell the difference by now I would think....
And you are doing a much better job than I would have thaught, and a much bette job than most of the pros!

Thanks for all you support.

try feeding daphnia as its smaller :good:

They have been fed daphnia before but getting hold of good quality ones is very hard. Usually you find that most of them are dead in the bag, and you end up paying 60p for 20 live ones. I did by chance get some a few weeks ago that where perfect, but this was due to a jorney for something else, so a one of trip to solely get these is out of the question.

If you where using live foods this wouldn't happen, vinegar eals don't require refridgeration, nor does blackworms but shade does help......

Yes, I know if I was using live food it wouldn't of happened. Can't get hold of blackworms here, I have searched and asked questions but to no avail. Vinegar eals I could possible get hold of
but if they are as small as microworms then I would need alot of them to be of any benifit(As the micro worms are not filling thier bellies, now that the fry are bigger)

Cut what up??
When you feed blackworms and have experience feeding blackworms(The live kind) they tear them apart key word here being TEAR, this will lead to the next quote and my point metaforly speaking maybe its a big word for me.....

Can't get hold of them live, so i'm not going to gain experience on this one. :no:

The poor fish drowned cause its mouth was full of frozen water, not a solid rather a liquid! Here is why, a solid they chew very easy even if frozen, hence why most feed discus frozen food frozen how weird, but one thing is different between frozen food and frozen water and that is disapation of heat. A small chuck lets say of frozen water got stuck in the mouth of a baby(being more suseptible to it) or even an adult would play the same part, what happen was the water release its coolness lack of a better word, so disapates the heat being Cold water, it wasn't from choking that killed him its from the ice disolving in the water and foze the gills alowing the water to pass by, main point is this, it didn't die from the frozen food although it did help cause the problem the underline problem is not choking, babies, adults don't die from chocking atleast not fish they eat and chew it up, it was the chemical reaction from the ice in warm water chageing the temp inside the gills, stoped them to move there casing no water to pass through thats what killed it, not the food!

Easy solution, unfreeze the food before feeding, and I don't think anything I typed made any sence to me.......

When I stated froozen blood, I should have explain that they where defrosted fully before hand. I know some uneducated people add the froozen block straight to the tank, I know for sure i'm not that dense. :lol:

So yes It did die from not being able to pass water though it's gills. I did save one though, had to net it and pull the bloodworm from it's mouth.

A steel one or a wooden one???

Either would do, hitting myself over the head may just make me act on my instinct next time, as I had a feeling this would happen.

I think you are better off putting it into a blender oh though your wife might kill you later if you forget to tell her, and make sure its NOT frozen when you give it to them

Cheers, don't worry you are still doing better than most hiprocrits here who think they know how to do something but really don't know, atleast you are not in the closet you know what I mean?? (hoping for a laugh on that one)

I think I know what you're getting at. :lol:

BTW:You are still doing fine, 1 death is better than some pros who end up with unxplained deaths at least you had an expert answer what you put up as a question without copy and paste hmm.....

Later dude your doing just fine, and really a baseball bat?? Why so much noise use a peace of spark plug white stuff it makes no noise, and makes for a good insurance claim to, you could say I didn't hear anything hit it.... LoL

As explained above, not for use on the tank. :lol: :fun:

Good Job, how much for new pictures $5.95 this time?? Just need your paypal account so i can transfer the money to you lol, good job!
good.gif

w00t.gif
w00t.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

So How many males and how many females you should be able to tell the difference by now I would think....
And you are doing a much better job than I would have thaught, and a much bette job than most of the pros!

I'll try and get some pics later, as for telling the gender. Still hard at the moment, but some of them are starting to get longer anal fins.

Ok as requested here are some Pictures. First of them is a blurred shot of a tail, which looks promising. Second is a full tank shot and the rest are just random half decent ones. As the little blighters don't keep stil for very long now and every time you go near the tank they swarm around the top of the tank next to the glass and it's near impossible to get a focused shot of them there........... :shout:

2010_0222007a.jpg

2010_0222128.jpg

2010_0222019.jpg

2010_0222028a.jpg

2010_0222167.jpg

2010_0222183.jpg

2010_0222184.jpg

2010_0222185.jpg

Hope you enjoyed them, took 200 shot to get these few blured ones :lol:

Wow, they're gorgeous. Be interesting to see what they turn out like, cause they all look so similar at the moment.

WOW what amazing pictures. they are not blurred on my screen, what beautys they are. they are 3 and a half months old now, so how much more growth have they got to do?....stunning

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back