different cycling fish ?

claireroe

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Can you cycle with anythinga bitmore exciting than guppies , platies or mollies ? starting up a tank for my mum ( she loves ours ) just wondered if we could get a bit more colour or something for her ?

You couldn't persuade her to cycle fishless? Then she could have (almost) what she wants afterwards.

(Anyway, how can you get more colour than with livebearers? I've got a silvertailed female guppy, a yellow/black-tailed d:eek:, a male with large red tail, also a red platy with black fins, a black platy with bright yellow edges and a totally goofy-looking pink Mickey Mouse-platy all in the same tank; any more colour than that and we would have to issue sunglasses to visitors. :lol: I am technically understocked at the moment, but there is life everywhere I look in that tank, they are so active.)

However, guppies are no longer considered suitable cycling fish, I've heard, due to not being as hardy as they were. That was one reason for my going fishless, that my daughter really wanted them.

If your mum wants something a bit more challenging than livebearers, then water stats are going to be more important - which suggests that fishless may be the way forward. Can't you twist her arm?

Shouldn't cycle with guppys or mollys, cycling fish are platys,danios,black tetra black widow tetra, that's about all i no.

There are no "cycling fish", just fish that are a little hardier than others. Because of this they are put through the strain of being semi poisoned because us humans haven't got the patience to do a fishless cycle. :grr:

Most reactions

Back