Diets ..

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
My sister lost 5 stone by cutting down portions, well she was like 20 stone, i know scary. I dont think you should cut down you portions just eat healther. Listen to gillian mckeith <--- how ever you spell it!

Sean

Ohh, no, I hate Gillian McKeith... Healthy eating, fair enough, but colonic irrigation and wanting people to eat nothing but miso soup and some rare bean found in the Alps goes a bit too far... She isn't even very qualified, from what I've read. If anyone has ever seen her columns in magazines, she's like the Gestapo...

But anyway. Sushi is good, low in fat, easy to make and is designed to be eaten slowly (ie, you don't eat as much). Waitrose has plenty of supplies, all you really need is a bag of sushi rice, some rice vinegar, nori and whichever toppings/fillings your using. It doesn't even have to be fish- you can use anything. Miso soup, actually isn't that bad, not the best thing in the world but if you feel hungry and aren't a fan of unflavoured things, it's pretty good.

Yeah baby, wash that colon! :lol: I have heard from friends personal opinions though that they *do* make you feel significantly better and make your skin look nicer.

Well, I'm going to just side-step that issue, but in my experience the best way to eat to lose weight is frequent protein-rich meals. Eating something small every 3 hours keeps your metabolism up. Once you move into the 4-5 hour range without a meal your body starts into "starvation" mode, basically shutting down the metabolism and converting the unburned calories into fat. I sincerely apologize to any of our non-US friends if any of these items aren't readily available if there's any issues, I'll try and help. Some of my favorite dinners:

Hot Meatball Sandwiches
1 pound extra-lean ground beef or turkey
1â„2 cup crushed saltine crackers
1 large onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed or whey powder (Optional)
1 jar (16 ounces) tomato sauce
4 whole-wheat hoagie rolls
1â„2 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. Mix the beef, crackers, onion, garlic, and flaxseed or whey powder into golf
ball–size meatballs.
2. In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook the meatballs until browned all
the way around. Drain the fat from the skillet, and add the tomato sauce.
3. While the mixture is warming, use a fork to scoop out some of the bread in
the rolls to form shallow trenches. Spoon the meatballs and sauce into each trench,
and sprinkle with shredded mozzarella, and top with the top half of the roll.
Makes 4 servings.

Zesty Brazilian Chicken
1 lemon
1 lime
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed (Optional)
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 can (6 ounces) frozen orange
juice concentrate
1 1â„2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 teaspoon hot pepper salsa
3â„4 cup chunky salsa
1. Grate the zest of the lemon and lime into a resealable bag. Squeeze the juice
from both fruits into the bag, and throw out the pulp and the seeds.
2. Mix in everything else except the chicken and salsa.
3. Drop in the chicken, reseal the bag, and refrigrate for a few hours.
4. Grill the chicken, turning and basting with marinade a few times, for
10 to 15 minutes or until the center is no longer pink. Serve with salsa.
Makes 4 servings.

Chile-Peppered Steak Stir-fry
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 carrots, sliced
1 cup chopped broccoli
2 jalapeño peppers, sliced
2 cayenne peppers, sliced
12 ounces lean sirloin steak, sliced thin
1â„4 cup Hunan stir-fry sauce
4 cups cooked brown rice
1. Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over high heat. Toss in the carrots and broccoli, and cook until tender.
2. Add the peppers and beef, and continue cooking until meat is done.
3. Add sauce, and serve over rice.
Makes 4 servings.

Philly Fryers
1 medium onion, sliced
1 small red bell pepper, sliced
1 small green bell pepper, sliced
2â„3 cup medium or hot salsa
4 multigrain hoagie rolls
3â„4 pound roast beef, thinly sliced
1â„2 cup grated reduced-fat
Cheddar cheese
1. In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, cook the onion and peppers until
tender. Add the salsa and heat until warm.
2. Construct the sandwiches with the buns, roast beef, onions, peppers, and
cheese, then warm them in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes on high, until the
cheese starts to melt.
Makes 4 sandwiches.

Quickie Chicken à la King
2 tablespoons olive oil
1â„2 onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon flour
2 tablespoons water
1 pound chicken breast tenders
4 teaspoons chili powder
1 cup spaghetti sauce
9 ounces cooked whole-wheat
spaghetti
1. Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and
cook for 1 minute, until browned. In a small bowl, mix the flour and water.
2. Add chicken, chili powder, sauce, and flour mixture to skillet. Stir. Simmer uncovered
for 10 minutes. Serve over cooked spaghetti.
Makes 4 servings.

Baked Salmon
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1â„4 teaspoon salt
1â„4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed (optional)
1 clove garlic
4 6-ounce salmon fillets
Green vegetable of choice
1 cup cooked rice
1. In a baking dish, combine the oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, flaxseed, and
garlic. Add the fish, coat well, cover, and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
2. Preheat your oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with foil, and coat it with
cooking spray. Remove the fish from the marinade, and place the fish skin side
down on the baking sheet.
3. Bake for 9 to 12 minutes. Serve with a green vegetable and rice.
Makes 4 servings.

Healthy BBQ
5 ounces smoked turkey kielbasa, diced
1 small onion, chopped
1 can (3 ounces) sliced mushrooms
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can (16 ounces) baked beans
1 can (8 ounces) navy beans, drained
1 can (14 1â„2 ounces) pureed tomatoes
1â„4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
3â„4 tablespoon ground flaxseed (Optiona)
3â„4 tablespoon olive oil
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F. Put the kielbasa in a 2-quart baking dish, and
bake until browned (about 5 minutes). Drain the fat and set the dish aside.
2. In a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook the onion, mushrooms, and
garlic for 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to the baking dish, then add the beans and
tomatoes, plus salt and pepper to taste.
3. Bake for 20 minutes or until the edges bubble.
4. In a small bowl, mix the bread crumbs and flaxseed with the oil. Sprinkle over
the sausage mixture, and broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat until the top is
golden (about 3 minutes).
Makes 4 servings.

Listen to gillian mckeith <--- how ever you spell it!
There's something about listening to a fraudster that doesn't sit right with me. Getting a Ph.D from a non-accredited US postal university in holisitic eating or whatever, and suddenly making claims about food that are well wide of the mark is not the basis on which I will alter my eating.

Wiki has some great rebuttals of the tosh ex-Dr McKeith tries to peddle:

As an example, he [Ben Goldacre - Doctor and Guardian columnist] discusses McKeith's recommendation of eating darker leaves because they are rich in chlorophyll, quoting her claim that it will "really oxygenate your blood". Goldacre says this is erroneous: "plants only make oxygen in light: it’s very dark in your bowel; and even if, to prove a point, you put a searchlight up your bottom, you probably wouldn't absorb too much oxygen through the gut wall."

McKeith's advice in her book Miracle Superfood: Wild Blue-Green Algae is disputed. Jan Krokowski of the Scottish Environment Protection Agency wrote a letter to New Scientist as a concerned expert, warning readers that "lue-green algae — properly called cyanobacteria — are able to produce a range of very powerful toxins, which pose health hazards to humans and animals and can result in illness and death."

A great (but long) piece of writing about Gillian McKeith and her methods can be found here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/food/Story/0,,2011095,00.html

Just to point out about muller lights. They may be low in fat but these guys are loaded with sugar! Not good to eat on a diet if you eat them in excess like I used to (love the toffee one and banana which they dont do anymore). You'd be aswell going for full fat biotic yoghurts.

Well eat sensibly and walking. Last summer after dinner my neighbor and I would walk the kiddies for 45 min or so to tire them out and so she could lose weight. Problem was I lost 12 lbs. and she lost nothing. LOL ( and I wasn't trying to lose weight)

Believe it or not I looked into something called "weight watchers" I looked on some books that someone had and I tried it. After one week I felt like I had a lot more energy. One year later I lost 49 pounds. I never gained it back because this program taught me portion control. It is a good system. The theme of it is "Eat anything you want but in small portions". Each food is based on a point system but lets say you a twinky...that would be 10 points for one. You have 21 points per day. You can see what makes you not want to eat it.

I would give this "diet" system a 4 out of 5.

Believe it or not I looked into something called "weight watchers" I looked on some books that someone had and I tried it. After one week I felt like I had a lot more energy. One year later I lost 49 pounds. I never gained it back because this program taught me portion control. It is a good system. The theme of it is "Eat anything you want but in small portions". Each food is based on a point system but lets say you a twinky...that would be 10 points for one. You have 21 points per day. You can see what makes you not want to eat it.

I would give this "diet" system a 4 out of 5.

lol my mum went to the Weight watchers meetings and she said it was crap, they would clap people for trying, even if they put on weight. I like the WW bars

Trouble with exercise is that your converting muscle into fat aswell as loosing fat and because muscle weights more than fat people dont appear (on paper) to be loosing as much weight.

It depends on the type of excercise you do, some forms of excerise will make you put on muscle rather than generally shed the pounds than others etc. If you don't want to turn into Arnie, swimming, cycling and aerobics and stuff are good forms of excercise to shed loads of calories without converting all your fat into muscle :nod: .

I think the main problem with diets and excercise is that people just don't stick to them. Once you start them, you are supposed to continue with them, rather than just work out hard and eat really healthily for just a month or something- if you don't stick at a healthier diet and lifestyle, you are bound to put back on the weight afterwards.

My advice to people wanting to lose weight or simply get a better toned body;

Ideally you should do at least 30mins walking everyday and 30mins of excercise like cycling at least every other day. You need to stretch/warm up properly before you do excercise, and when you start doing excercise, you need to keep a constant steady pace at whatever form of excercise you do and drink plenty of water and stuff etc.

You need to cut down on eating meat, eggs, and high fat dairy products like cheeses and cream etc- these foods are full of calories and fat and should not be eaten all the time unless you have a very physically active lifestyle where you need such energy.

You need to cut down on sugary foods and alchohol- many types of alchohol like lagers and beers and sugary beverages contain suprisingly large amounts of calories, for example;

Baileys, Irish Cream, Original

"Calories in 100ml of Baileys Irish Cream:

Calories
350.0kcal

Carbohydrate
20.0g

Protein
3.2g

Fat
15.7g

Fibre
0.0g

Alcohol
14.1g"

Taken from;

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/calor...ter/alcohol.htm

Seriously cut down on deep fried foods like chips, scotch eggs, doughnuts etc. Unless you are doing a huge amount of excercise everyday, these foods will make you fat and give you greesy skin and clog up your digestion.

Get 5 portions of fruit and veg into your diet a day.

Don't eat if you're not really that hungry- its suprising the amount of people that eat out of habit half the time.

Eat smaller portions- if you are still hungry after eating your food, wait for 15mins before having more; it takes time for all your food to pass down into your stomach and make you feel full, more than often you will find that if you wait for 15mins after eating, you will not feel hungry anymore.

Eat a varied diet that concentrates mostly on fruit & veg: One of the main reasons why there is such a bad obesity crisis now days is that animal products have become very cheap and available, and a lot of people eat such products everyday. Not only is it quite un-natural (people were evolved to eat animal products of course, but not everyday), but such foods are full of fat and calories, most people now days with their easy going lifestyles full of time and effort saving bits of technology do not burn off enough energy in their day to day lifestyle to justify eating these sorts of foods everyday.
Fry-up breakfasts should be left to the atheletes.

Don't aim to lose weight super fast: losing lots of weight very quickly is very stressful for your body, if you do this you will simply end up feeling like you have no energy and feel depressed, your skin will sag around your new skinny frame since you lost the weight too quickly, and if you are a woman your boobs will sag too. I know this to be true, one of my best friends lost a great deal of weight very quickly on a strict excercise and diet regime, however even though she went from a size 16 to a size 10, she now regrets it because her boobs have become flat and smaller (since breast are made out of a great deal of body fat, and if you loose too much body fat, your boobs will sag and become smaller etc) and her skin looks saggy on her now skinny frame.
If she had lost the weight more gradually, she would have had a much more toned and healthy looking body as her body would have been able to get used to the vast changes in weight easier etc.

Find healthy and nutritious recipes that work for you: a diet is not supposed to be torture or a chore, and more importantly, once you start improving your diet you need to stick at it. If you find healthy and nutritious meals that work for you, you will be far more likely to stick at the diet in the long time and really reap the benefets of your diet. Make sure you eat a varied and healthy diet too.

Do more home cooking: cooking is not supposed to be a chore, and as long as you have 30mins spare everyday, thats plenty of time to cook up some really good and easy meals. By doing more home cooking, you will be able to moniter what goes into your body much easier (pre-made meals tend to be very high in salt, fat, preservatives and artificial colourings and all that cr*p etc) and will eat better quality and more nutritious food by doing so. Some of the ingedients that go into ready meals is of appalling quality.
You will also save money by doing more home-cooking, and you will feel like you are acheiving more in your life etc- basically, there are loads of benefets to doing your own home cooking rather than living off ready meals, from diet and health benefets to a better feeling of well being, personal acheivement, less stress etc :good: .
Grilling, barbequeing, steaming, stir-frying and baking are some of the best cooking methods depending on what you want to cook- boiling tends to make food like veg lose all of its nutrious value (unless its carefully stewed), while normal frying or deep frying often uses too much oil and fat for it to be healthy.

Recipes that work well for me are vegetarian stir-frys, pasta dishes (not ones with cheesy/creamy sauces though), vegetarian mince buritos with lettuce and tomatoes etc, salads, lots of fruit instead of sweets and chocolate, LOADS of smoothies- i love my smoothie machine, i'm always doing fruit smoothies with it- I also love barbequed/grilled beef, baked potatoe wedges with baked beans, fried or steamed salmon steak with asparagus etc etc :) . All of these foods are quick and easy to cook and are healthy and low-fat too :good: .

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back