Diets ..

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pebbles

Fishaholic
Reaction score
so . we all know that diets are not really the answer :no: sensible eating ,more fruit and veg, smaller quantities , cut down on fats and sugar :nod: .

but ... not easy

so , anyone have any recipes or suggestions that will help.

One of mine is a vegetable roast . Large plateful and good to eat ... I use onions , red and green pepper , sweet potato,small chunks of carrot and new potato and lots of garlic.. The new potatoes and carrots I boil for a few minutes to start them off , then put everthing in a large roasting tin, drizzle with a very little olive oil and sprinkle with cajun spices [hot].toss and cook for about 20 mins - 25 mins, nice to add a few cherry tomatoes towards the end with a sprinkling of fresh herbs .This goes really well with sausages.

Hi, the only way to lose weight sensibly is to eat less and move about more. Easier said than done for some of us! I have low sugar or no sugar food because I have diabetes. You soon get used to the different taste. I have been to slimming clubs in the past and lost small amounts of weight but I always put it back on! I need to lose about 3 stone. The best club is the one that does an aerobic workout. I will look out for the scone recipe.

Trouble with exercise is that your converting muscle into fat aswell as loosing fat and because muscle weights more than fat people dont appear (on paper) to be loosing as much weight.

I wish I'd never stopped the aerobics. I gained half an inch in height from doing it. Muscle does weigh more than fat but if you exercise something in the muscle "switches" on and you burn more calories even while resting. At least that's what we were told! It was after I stopped exercising that I developed diabetes, I am sure there is a connection. Unfortunatley it won't go away if I exercise although it would do me good. :)

Low fat No sugar scones

Makes 12 scones – 3 sins each
8 oz Self - Raising Flour
½ teaspoon Baking Powder
1oz Low-Fat Spread
1oz Dried Fruit (Sultanas or Raisins)
2-3 Tablespoons Granulated Low Cal Sweetener (Splender works well)
1 Standard Tub Muller Light Yoghurt

1. Pre-heat oven to 200°
2. Sift flour and baking powder into bowl
3. Add Low-fat spread and rub in until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs (or chuck in food processor and whiz till you have bread crumbs)
4. Stir in the Granulated Sweetener and Dried Fruit
5. Pour in Muller light and mix in with table/pallet knife until you get soft dough
6. Flour worktop gently pat out dough until you have a round of dough 1½ inches thick.
7. Cut with small ring cutter place on a baking sheet lined with Baking parchment (not Greaseproof paper)
8. Bake for aprox 10-15 minutes until well risen and golden.
9. Cool on a wire rack

You can use any flavour Muller light to get different flavour scones – I like Vanilla or Apricot.

enjoy
:D

Trouble with exercise is that your converting muscle into fat aswell as loosing fat and because muscle weights more than fat people dont appear (on paper) to be loosing as much weight.

Actually this is incorrect.....it is not possible to "convert" muscle to fat or vice versa.....they are structurally very different. What happens when we lose weight/fat is the fat gets replaced with muscle....which in turn increases the metabolism. Muscle does weigh more than fat but weighing yourself isn't a great way of determining "weight loss". It is far better to go by the fit of your clothes and measurements.

Best way I know to lose weight is to run

Muscle does weigh more than fat but weighing yourself isn't a great way of determining "weight loss". It is far better to go by the fit of your clothes and measurements.

Best way I know to lose weight is to run

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Personally I prefer swimming though, it is low/nil impact (good for people like me with stuffed joints, etc), works the entire body, creates more resistance and is great for cardiovascular excersise (another goodie for me due to having a murmur in my heart). It's also more fun and less like excersise IMO.

Honestly, if you are looking for a great way to get fit, then surfing is one of the best ways to go about it. It's great fun and works out your entire body. Hey even lance armstrong said it was one of the hardest things he has ever done. Seriously, I eat at least four large meals a day and it's impossible for me to gain weight. Although, I don't eat red meat.

Sorry wanda, maybe you're right. Better stick to the Low fat no sugar scones. I also work full time, but live a considerable amount closer to the ocean, more like 1/2 a mile. :/

Hi I just found this forum I guess I havn't been looking very hard over the last few weeks.

Well low fat tasty small portions...

I don't know where to start. You have to make sure the food you make is still really tasty or this idea will be short lived.

How about chicken and rice with tomato sauce.

For two people;

one chicken breast.
1/3 cup white rice
1/3 cup brown rice
1 onion
3-4 garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tin tomatoes
herb of your choice (thyme, basil, etc)

To make the sauce finely chop the onion and a couple of garlic cloves, put in a pan, no oil, and turn the heat on. cook slowly for a few minutes till it stops looking raw and add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and a table spoon of red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar. Cook til it is almost dry then add a tin of tomatoes and herbs of your choice. Simmer while you make the chicken.

Wash your rice and put it into a pan or rice cooker. Add one cup of water, Cut chicken so you have two thin pieces. Place the chicken on top of the rice cover with a tight fitting lid and put on the heat. when the water is boiling turn the heat right down and cook for 15 minutes and then turn the pan off, and let it sit for 5 minutes more. Serve with the tomato sauce. If you need some more food serve with steamed vegies.

Enjoy

Cooking Light Magazine is one of my favoite sources of low fat, healthy recipes that taste amazing! Here is one of my favorites and it's now a family favorite too.

Hot Chicken and Chips Retro (from the Nov. 2004 issue)
4 cups chopped roasted chicken (about 4 breasts depending on size)
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper (I leave this out because I can't stand them)
2 Tbs fresh parsley (I often use dried when I don't have fresh)
1 can water chestnuts, drained and chopped (have left them in sliced too)
1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
2 Tbs lemon juice
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
3/4 cup swiss cheese
3/4 cup crushed potato chips (I use Baked Lays because they have a lot less fat)

Preheat oven 400. Combine chicken through water chestnuts in bowl. Combine mayo through pepper in another bowl. Add mayo mix to chicken, stir. Pour into 8x8 or 11x7 sprayed pan. Sprinkle with cheese and then chips. Bake for 13 minutes or until bubbly.

This recipe is also great to make ahead, just leave the chips off until just before you put it in the oven. It also reheats excellently (and I can't stand leftovers) at the same temperature and time as the original baking. Yum yum!!!!

Right now, I'm sucking big time in the weight department because I'm moving, it's stressful, and I'm a big stress eater. Having a beer right now! It is light beer, though! Becks light, highly recommended and only 64 calories. But lost a lot of weight eating a lot of stir fry, very spicy Thai-inspired dishes and hot curries. I also moved around a lot, jogged 2-4 miles every other day.

I think I'll start up again tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back