Dieing Bubble Coral Hanging In There!

FLcracker94

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I reacently got a bubble coral and didn't think about calcium...then I remembered while wondering why the coral isn't inflating. I just tested Calcium today, it was 360PPM! I just put in some Calcium, and I'll test it tomarrow. The worse thing about this is I'm going out of town for 3 days...I'll be worried sick. I'll keep you posted on it's condition, and hopefully it lives, I wont let it die! :crazy: :unsure:

normally these posts are for questions or for things that ppl care about.... if you have a problem that you need some answer for then post it

normally these posts are for questions or for things that ppl care about.... if you have a problem that you need some answer for then post it

That was rude! He obviously cares about his bubble coral. He also has a problem - it's dieing. Usually when people post on topics like this, it's to help the original poster, not to tell them people don't care. :grr:

FLcracker94 - you may want to test your alkalinity, too.
Here is a link to an article Ski posted in another thread. It will help you figure out how to solve most problems you will have with calc/alk. You really need to find out the alk, because calc and alk are linked.

thanks n3on....
My calcium is fine, its 440, which is a HUGE leap from yesterday, it was 360ppm, I added a cap full of Seachem, Liquid calcium, and it jumped to 440...hopfully the coral will use some and lower it to 420. Alk was fine the last time I tested it. I have to wait for my dad to get home, he has the alk and PH kit with him.Everything else is fine...cept nitrates...its been stayin around 10-40ppm. I constantly do water changes, which I'm gonna do another in a min. Could it be nitrates?

I heard that you have to keep the sand stirred to help get nitrates down, which is wierd, I think its true. I moved the bubble yesterday to the bottom of the tank, and I had to move some sand. (book said to burry some of the skeleton in the sand) When I did that, nitrates were around 30ppm, and like I said, today its 10ppm.

I can tell you right now..it's not your calcium that is the problem. Although low, calcium is something that is a long term issue. That is not a deadly level. There is something else wrong...please list all your parameters. SH

OK, I know all but two of them, I'll update them later.

Salinity: 1.024
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:10
Calcium:440

Alk and PH are being tested with a kit that my dad uses for pools. I guess it would be like a freshwater kit. If you convert this to SW, are they fine?

Alk:150
PH:8.0
Temperature: Between 78-82F (25-27C)

All Tests are in [acronym="Parts per Million"]PPM[/acronym]

The Seachem liquid calcium bottle says that it wont alter alk and PH, so the alk and PH depends on before I put in the calcium.

That was rude! He obviously cares about his bubble coral. He also has a problem - it's dieing. Usually when people post on topics like this, it's to help the original poster, not to tell them people don't care. :grr:
well sorry but he didnt ask a question he said he will keep us updated.... if he asked a question.... it would sounded something like "what might be the problem?"

well sorry but he didnt ask a question he said he will keep us updated.... if he asked a question.... it would sounded something like "what might be the problem?"

If it got worse, or didn't get healthier, then I would of asked a question.

I'll agree with SH, calc/alk doesnt seem to be your problem and even if it was, thats a bigtime longterm issue. You're likely suffering from poor lighting, flowrate, excess phosphates, coral aggression, predation by inverts/fish, or some combination thereof.

I'll agree with SH, calc/alk doesnt seem to be your problem and even if it was, thats a bigtime longterm issue. You're likely suffering from poor lighting, flowrate, excess phosphates, coral aggression, predation by inverts/fish, or some combination thereof.

hmmmm....think it might be the Bloodshrimp? when I feed the fish, it sometimes ends up climbing on the coral to get to food...
I've read on them, it says lower lighting, and low flow...thats what I have it at.

I think it might be the shrimp.

Two T5 8W Illuminator plus lights (white) 10,000k
One T5 8W Illuminator Blue light (Blue) dont know the K

Extra lights that arent in it are:
Two TL'5' 8W/865 lights (white)

All lights are flourescent.

Most reactions

Back