Demasoni

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jredouard25

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
How many demasoni cichlids could you keep in a 20 gallon with filtration 525gph? Or no more gallons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While this species is considered one of the smaller mbuna, it needs a 3-foot tank minimum, and larger would be preferable as it naturally occurs in large groups so this should be the aim. Filtration while important cannot replace physical space for the fish.

While this species is considered one of the smaller mbuna, it needs a 3-foot tank minimum, and larger would be preferable as it naturally occurs in large groups so this should be the aim. Filtration while important cannot replace physical space for the fish.

But wouldn’t over sticking them create less aggression? With lots of hiding spots?

But wouldn’t over sticking them create less aggression? With lots of hiding spots?

Generally yes, but you initially asked about this species in a 20 gallon aquarium and this tank is too small for this species. As they expect to live in large groups of their own species, providing a large aquarium so you can have a large group is the best idea.

Some aquarists think filtration solves all problems but it does not. When it comes to the number of fish in a given aquarium, physical space is important so the fish can be themselves and interact normally as the species expects, and in addition the filtration must be adequate for that situation. But adding more filtration does not compensate for too little physical space.

Another aspect of filtration not always understood is that more is not usually beneficial, provided what is needed is provided. An example may illustrate. If "x" number of fish in "y" tank need filtration provided by "z" filter, then adding two or three "z" filters is not going to have any benefit at all, and may actually be detrimental. Water flow is part of filtration, and fish have requirements for water current too, so too much can be worse for some fish.

Generally yes, but you initially asked about this species in a 20 gallon aquarium and this tank is too small for this species. As they expect to live in large groups of their own species, providing a large aquarium so you can have a large group is the best idea.

Some aquarists think filtration solves all problems but it does not. When it comes to the number of fish in a given aquarium, physical space is important so the fish can be themselves and interact normally as the species expects, and in addition the filtration must be adequate for that situation. But adding more filtration does not compensate for too little physical space.

Another aspect of filtration not always understood is that more is not usually beneficial, provided what is needed is provided. An example may illustrate. If "x" number of fish in "y" tank need filtration provided by "z" filter, then adding two or three "z" filters is not going to have any benefit at all, and may actually be detrimental. Water flow is part of filtration, and fish have requirements for water current too, so too much can be worse for some fish.

So 520 GPH is a lot for a 20 gallon?

I’ve read about 4 forums and they all say there’s no such thing as over filtration as long as the filter isn’t blowing everything around.

Yes, this is or should not be at all necessary, as the fish one would keep in a 20 gallon do not need this much current, and in any case it is not going to have any benefit to water quality.

I’ve read about 4 forums and they all say there’s no such thing as over filtration as long as the filter isn’t blowing everything around.

This is another myth in this hobby. Many do not understand "filtration."

Filtration has two components, water movement and water quality. The movement is the current, and this absolutely must be suitable for the fish species, as different species have differing needs when it comes to the current they live in. This aspect is fairly easy to understand.

The quality aspect is more involved. There is water clarity and water quality, two very different aspects. The filter should serve to help provide clear water, and it does this by forcing the water through media such as sponges, foam, and/or floss. This is termed mechanical filtration. The number of fish and their size along with feeding, live plants, substrate, etc, all factor in to water clarity, so here again, the filter cannot work miracles if things are not right to begin with. Many fish do not really care much about the clarity, so this aspect is primarily for the benefit of the aquarist. It must be remembered that crystal clear water does not mean the water is actually clean for the fish.

Clean water means the water quality. But there are some things filters cannot remove or process, which is why we do water changes. So more filters is of no benefit here. That leaves us with the aspects a filter can handle, if it is suited to the tank volume and the fish load is in balance. Nitrification is the primary purpose of the filter, which is why filters are so important in cycling. The nitrifying bacteria live in the filter--though they also colonize many other areas, such as in the substrate--and the water flow pushes the tank water through the filter so the bacteria can remove the ammonia and nitrite. This is termed the biological filtration. But it has boundaries. If the water flow through the filter is too fast, the bacteria cannot do their job. And at the same time, even if the flow is OK, the bacteria will only reproduce to numbers sufficient to handle the "food" (ammonia, nitrite). So if this occurs in one filter, adding a second or a third has absolutely no benefit. This is where "over filtration" becomes detrimental, not beneficial, either because the filter is too large and moving water too fast, or there are too many filters doing nothing but creating more water current which may not be beneficial for the fish in the first place.

There is also chemical filtration, where substances such as carbon are used to alter the properties of the water. This too is limited, and in some cases may not be needed, or may be detrimental by removing nutrients plants need, etc.

Yes, this is or should not be at all necessary, as the fish one would keep in a 20 gallon do not need this much current, and in any case it is not going to have any benefit to water quality.

Filtration has two components, water movement and water quality. The movement is the current, and this absolutely must be suitable for the fish species, as different species have differing needs when it comes to the current they live in. This aspect is fairly easy to understand.

The quality aspect is more involved. There is water clarity and water quality, two very different aspects. The filter should serve to help provide clear water, and it does this by forcing the water through media such as sponges, foam, and/or floss. This is termed mechanical filtration. The number of fish and their size along with feeding, live plants, substrate, etc, all factor in to water clarity, so here again, the filter cannot work miracles if things are not right to begin with. Many fish do not really care much about the clarity, so this aspect is primarily for the benefit of the aquarist. It must be remembered that crystal clear water does not mean the water is actually clean for the fish.

Clean water means the water quality. But there are some things filters cannot remove or process, which is why we do water changes. So more filters is of no benefit here. That leaves us with the aspects a filter can handle, if it is suited to the tank volume and the fish load is in balance. Nitrification is the primary purpose of the filter, which is why filters are so important in cycling. The nitrifying bacteria live in the filter--though they also colonize many other areas, such as in the substrate--and the water flow pushes the tank water through the filter so the bacteria can remove the ammonia and nitrite. This is termed the biological filtration. But it has boundaries. If the water flow through the filter is too fast, the bacteria cannot do their job. And at the same time, even if the flow is OK, the bacteria will only reproduce to numbers sufficient to handle the "food" (ammonia, nitrite). So if this occurs in one filter, adding a second or a third has absolutely no benefit. This is where "over filtration" becomes detrimental, not beneficial, either because the filter is too large and moving water too fast, or there are too many filters doing nothing but creating more water current which may not be beneficial for the fish in the first place.

There is also chemical filtration, where substances such as carbon are used to alter the properties of the water. This too is limited, and in some cases may not bee needed, or may bee detrimental by removing nutrients plants need, etc.

But wouldn’t my water be pristine and have good quality? With tht filter?

But wouldn’t my water be pristine and have good quality? With tht filter?

Not necessarily, depending upon all those other aspects. Read my last post again, carefully, as I did explain this.

There is also chemical filtration, where substances such as carbon are used to alter the properties of the water. This too is limited, and in some cases may not be needed, or may be detrimental by removing nutrients plants need, etc.

Your logic makes no sense to me. Bigger filter better water. IMO. I just don’t get how thts bad.

Your logic makes no sense to me. Bigger filter better water. IMO. I just don’t get how thts bad.

Nvm I get what u mean. If there to much filtration then some bacteria would die or do nothing. But only the right amount of bacteria would be in the filter to clean the ammonia and stuff not a trillion doing nothing.

Nvm I get what u mean. If there to much filtration then some bacteria would die or do nothing. But only the right amount of bacteria would be in the filter to clean the ammonia and stuff not a trillion doing nothing.

Dont bacteria colonize when needed? And not for no reason???

Dont bacteria colonize when needed? And not for no reason???

Yes. If ammonia is present, Nitrosomonas sp. bacteria will appear and establish on surfaces, and multiply sufficient to handle the available ammonia. How long this takes depends upon many factors. Then the Nitrospira sp. bacteria will do the same, which takes longer, to handle the resulting nitrite.

However, this occurs in any aquarium, with or without a filter. Also, the flow of water through the filter can inhibit this if it is too fast.

And, this is again why "over filtration" is not even possible, let alone not beneficial.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back