Declawing

Sorrell

If you're a bird, I'm a bird
Reaction score
I know that declawing is illegal almost everywhere, but the US. It is still very common here. I was just wondering what everyone thinks about it. Personally I think it is cruel, causing lasting damage to a cat, and needs to be rid of. There are many alternative methods to declawing and I think it is a selfish a vain practice.

Have at it.... :D

Declawing is similar to clipping wings and confining rodents and fish.

It shouldn't be done, but not very many people want the damages to property that accompany owning a cat. :/

On the flip side... I can't come up with an argument, but I'm sured there's a darned good one. :nod:

I clip feathers on my birds wings when taming them, but not as they grow older, that's a painless procedure though. When a cat is declawed, the last knuckle on the foot is cut off. With proper outlets to scratch there is no reason why a cat should be destructive, and if a person isn't willing to provide such outlets, then they shouldn't have a cat.

i'm on the fence here. i know its not entirely painfree, but i don't believe there is lasting pain. people argue that cats lose their main form of defense and will resort to biting, etc. i grew up with a cat that we declawed as a kitten. she was an indoor/outdoor cat in a rural wooded area. she lived to be 16, was top cat in the neighborhood (and i had seen the cats she beat up, she was definitely queen), took care of herself with dogs (man could she smack hard), all without front claws. she even caught mice, rabbits, moles, and birds. and was never a biter. so i don't follow that line of thinking. i have a cat now, and since he was 5 years old when i got him out of the pound, there was no way i was putting a cat that age through unneccessary surgery.

now, declawing back claws is just wrong, as these are used for traction. thats just awful to do. we've had some cats in rescue like that, poor things had trouble jumping and playing on the cat towers.

i know they say declawing is like removing our fingers to the middle joint, but of the declawed cats i know, i've not seen it to be a problem. they play, are active, happy, and quite often defend themselves just fine. due to the surgery process though, i wouldn't do it to an older cat.

there are some great alternative though. one is a less invasive surgical technique, where they do something to the tendons so the claws are still there, they just can't retract them. there's also just keeping the nails trimmed or the plastic covers (which dont' work ifyou have a crafty cat like mine who figures out how to bite them off.........).

but really, if you get a cat, get him things TO scratch on and wear his claws with. my cat will occasionally get the carpet, but he's not big on scratching furniture luckily. so i use a water bottle to spray him and keep his nails trimmed. the rescue group i volunteer for (see my signature), won't adopt cats out to people who plan on declawing cats. and i know in california, beverly hills at least, they have passed some local law against it. other states are looking into it as well as pressure increases from animal rights groups.

Unfortunately, such things can't always be contained, regardless of how much legislature is passed to prohibit it. :/

There are definitely outlets available, but you can't persuade ornery people. By the way, if I read what you said correctly, it's legal in the U.S. If so, then it wouldn't be able to stop it.

(Didn't comment on MAM's post because I didn't see it, oh well. :rolleyes:)

Anywho, I agree with you, but I'll butt out and stop this flow of jejune commentry.

I think it's extremely cruel. I have a cat and I would never declaw her. Claws are part of what helps them survive out in the wild. You are getting rid of a distinct part of them and that is very wrong. IMO.

I don't like and would never do it to my cats. Even if they are permantly indoor cats, there's always a small chance they may get out once or twice in their lives. Leaving a cat scared and defenseless is cruel. They wouldn't even be able to climb a tree!

rykitten said:
I don't like and would never do it to my cats. Even if they are permantly indoor cats, there's always a small chance they may get out once or twice in their lives. Leaving a cat scared and defenseless is cruel. They wouldn't even be able to climb a tree!
I couldn't have said it better. I would never de-claw a cat

I had one of my cats declawed once, I've never felt so awful about anything in my life, let's just say I was kind of forced to do it. She would attack everybody,but me. I think I'm with MAM on the fence, but I personally would never do it again.

well I have different opinions on this. I have two cats, one is 14 and we never even though to declaw him, he never uses his claws anyways and is a good cat. 4 years ago I adopted another kitten and we decided since our older cat is an outdoor cat and he has had more than 9 of his lives taken away by fights, being poisones, hit by cars, etc that this kitten would only be an indoor cat. While he was getting nuetured we also declawed him..and this was a different procedure than all of you may think it is. They used a lazer technology that removed them and they didnt chop off on of his fingers(i dunno who said that). actually that day when he got out he was running around, pain free it seemed, and there was no blood or anything because the lazer they used seeled his skin closed i guess. I know some of you may say its cruel and blah blah blah..but he is an indoor cat and never goes outside and is as happy as a clam. he still tries scratching everything he can, but doesnt know he doesnt have front claws..so im glad he doesnt have them because if he did our whole house would be torn up.
actually here is a pic of him trying to bat and claw at me (well he thinks) :lol:

Attachments

• Pict0545.jpg
    Pict0545.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 68
>>> Declawing is similar to clipping wings and confining rodents and fish.

No it isn't.

Clipping wings, (note it is the feathers that are cut not the body of the animal), is more like cutting hair. Keeping a cat permenantly indoors is like confining rodents or fish.

Declawing is mutilation of the animals body, and is totally inexcusable.

If people are not prepared to keep an animal "as it is" they should not keep the animal.

It should be against the law. I would never ever have my cat declawed. It is in the nature, its a feline thing, would you ever see a lion, tiger or anything feline declawed, thats the way they get their food.

I have 4 indoor cats. They are all declawed.
I went some time before I had them declawed. They started to wreck thing in my house.
So you can look at it this way. If I were not able to get them declawed then these cats would have ended up in a shelter and possible put to sleep like so many other dogs and cats because no one wanted them. Because I was able to declaw them, they have a happy life.

Lateral Line said:
Declawing is mutilation of the animals body, and is totally inexcusable.

If people are not prepared to keep an animal "as it is" they should not keep the animal.
I couldnt have said it better :clap:

I don't agree with it and would never do it. I've had cats all my life and they haven't really ruined any furniture. And who gives a darn about furniture, cats are so much better! I clip my cats' nails. My demonic kitten and placid cat are good for me when I clip their nails. My other cat gets beastly so I get the vet to do it whenever he goes. And I didn't know it was illegal in some countries!

Most reactions

Back