Dechlorination

StarOrbs

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I've been wondering about these dechlorination chemicals. Should you always de-chlorinate it before you add water to a tank in the beggining and when you change the water?

You betcha. Declorinate your water BEFORE adding it to your tank, especially when fish are in it. Chlorine is toxic to fish and kills your beneficial bacteria(what makes your water safe for your aquatic friends) so it's very crucial to measure the right amount you put in and to let it sit out an hour or so(some ppl leave it over night) so the gases leave and everythings removed from your water. For water changes I bought two 5 gallon buckets(one for OUT water and one for IN/clean water). I put in the measured amount of dechlorinator then add the water, that stirrs it around.

I actualy don't let the water sit for any longer than it takes for me to empty the amount I want from the tank and I've never had problems so this may not be necessary. Half an hour should probably be enough. Do make sure, however, that you dechlorinate the water BEFORE putting it in your tank - read the link in my sig. to find out more about why this is so important.

If you use the python, add the dechlorinator into the tank before refilling it.

I personally just squirt some of the dechlor into a bucket of tap water, mix it a little, and pour it in. Better too much then too little, i say. But then again, the squirt is very small, just a few drops i think.

P.T.

I don't let it sit for any longer than it takes for me to carry the bucket to the tank!! Most Dechlorinators work straight away, so there is no real need to let it sit. It won't do any harm, but not necessary IMO.

Thanks a lot, it's what I thought it was. Better to be safe though.

I used to use the buckets, squirt in the amount of dechlor needed & pump it into the tank. After setting up enough tanks to make this bucket routine a real drag, I got a couple of garden hoses for draining & filling. I just squirt in enough declor as they fill, and haven't seen any problems yet, no difference at all.

Tolak

Dechlorinator's do work instantly, no real reason to age the water with it. I also use the python, fill the tank directly. Haven't had a problem in all the years of doing it this way.

I agree with Tolak, you do not need to dechlorinate the water in a seperate container before adding it to the tank, if this was so it would make water changes on large tanks or mulitple tanks almost immpossible as you would only be able to add the water back a bucket at a time. I refill my 11 tanks including a 80 and a 200 gallon with a standard hose conected to the tap and add the dechlorinater a bit at a time as the tank fills, if i did water changes a bucket at a time it would take hours to replace 70 gallons of water for a 25% water change on just the two large tanks.

i do the same on all 3 of my tanks fill with a python, i just add half the required amount before filling it up, and the rest when its at 90% done looking good so far and i use Aqua-Safe and Stree Coat im leaning towards stress coat due to AP being th emaker

Most reactions

Back