Debunking high ammonia can kill beneficial bacteria. (Fishless cycle)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Utar

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Some of you guys may remember that I make my own aqua soil and that in a new set up the soil becomes an ammonia factory with readings up to 8+.

8 is the highest color on the API Master Freshwater Test Kit, so who knows how high it actually is.

Twice now in doing new tank setups with this aqua soil I got these high ammonia readings. I use seeded bio media from one of my existing aquariums to jump-start the cycle. The high ammonia readings doesn't kill off the BB, just takes much longer to complete the cycle than using an inert substrate.

I started a new 29-gallon tank on 4-11-21 and was reading 8+ ammonia on the 4-15-21 and again 8 on 4-18-21. Today 4-22-21 I am now reading 0.25 ammonia. I have yet to measure the nitrite and nitrate. But I expect the nitrate to be very high. I will do so later today.

I measured the ammonia a second time and the color is either yellow 0 or a light tinge of green 0.25, hard to tell and depending on the light source. Nitrite is reading 0 and nitrate is 10.

The nitrate surprised me reading so low when I expected at least 40 or more, due to how much ammonia had been processed by the BB.
I am using three filters on the 29-gallon, an Aquaclear 70 HOB, a SICCE Whale 200 canister filter, and a double sponge filter stuck to the glass on one end which is driven by a large air pump. So there is plenty of bio media for the BB to find a home.

The reason for all the filtration is because this tank is intended for my breeding pair of Bristle Nose Plecos and all their babies. We all know how messy Plecos can be..

Most reactions

trending

Back