What's new

Dealing with pest snails!

alaska

Reaction score
are bladder snails supposed to lay eggs above the water?

Mosura

Reaction score
Been a while since anyone's posted here...hope someone sees this. I have a 30 gallon community tank: Platys, neon tetras, zebra danios, 2 loaches (yoyo and another one with stripes...forget the type.) I had a serious, serious ramshorn snail infestation. Like, hundreds. Every day a new population explosion. I want to get rid of them.
Loaches were unable to control it. They threw up their little fishy hands in despair.
Vegetable bait attracted many of them, but the other snails decided to lay off the vegetables and lay eggs instead.
I got a new tank, new gravel, soaked the plants in 1/19 bleach solution x 5 minutes THEN quarantined them for 7 days
Got new wood. So, all new furnishings. Cycled the tank with new media. Put fish in.
Snails reappeared 2 weeks later.
Have removed media and charcoal, dosed with copper 4 ppm x 1 week THREE TIMES.
First time: After I cleaned all the copper out of the water, snails reappeared 3 hours later.
Second time: After I cleaned yada yada yada, snails reappeared 2 days later.
Third time: Tank has been marinating in copper for 2 weeks now....every day I see a snail or two cruising around like the copper isn't there. 
Apparently, copper doesn't kill eggs.
Next I plan to go nuclear.
Have ordered Potassium Permanganate. This stuff is SERIOUS. (Like, you can keep it to start fires with when the zombie apocalypse comes and matches are in short supply.) Plan: Remove fish and biological media; soak plants in PP solution; and sterilize the tank with 5 ppm PP x minimum 6 hours.
Anybody tried using Potassium Permanganate?
Thanks.
Mothrasdottir 

SeanTrollope

Reaction score
i found that if one removes all the fish and drains the tank and then pours boiling water over everything the pests generally are reduced to nothing however this includes the filter and its media and does smell kinda funky.

or a few dawf puffers will do the trick

Search tags for this page

aquarium pest snails

chemicals to kill invertebrates

how to get rid of pest snails in tropical fish tank

loaches to deal with a snail problem

pest snail removal

treating snails with copper

what tropical fish eat snails

which fish eat pest snails

why do with the rest after fish that eats snails tropical tank

trending