Dead nertite snail??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Meg0000

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi, I think my nerite snail is dead. It has been 3 days sinced it moved and I smelled it and it smells bad. Should I remove it and what could be the causes of the death? I have two nerite and the other one is acting normal.

Poor water quality maybe, which will get worse if you leave it in there. Or Old age, they are frequently sold as adults but with a life expectancy of 3 years they donā€™t always have long to live as you donā€™t know how old they really are. Another possibility is liquid carbon additives for plant, it made my snails very poorly but they made a complete recovery when I stopped using it.

If it smells horrible, definitely remove it before it pollutes the water. I've had nerites live a couple of weeks and some that have lived 8 years. There is a body of thought that if the snail is ripped from the tank wall when it is bought that this can damage a snail. That's why I always gently wriggle them till they let go.

Poor water quality maybe, which will get worse if you leave it in there. Or Old age, they are frequently sold as adults but with a life expectancy of 3 years they donā€™t always have long to live as you donā€™t know how old they really are. Another possibility is liquid carbon additives for plant, it made my snails very poorly but they made a complete recovery when I stopped using it.
I think it might be old age, it was pretty big and I don't use liquid carbon and my water quality is good.

If it smells horrible, definitely remove it before it pollutes the water. I've had nerites live a couple of weeks and those that have lived 8 years. There is a body of thought that if the snail is ripped from the tank wall when it is bought that this can damage a snail. That's why I always gently wriggle them till they let go.
I just removed it from the water and I put the snail in a cup just to be 100% sure it is dead. I hope my other nerite snail will be ok.

I had one that did not move for over a week and I did the same thing and put him in a bowl of water. A day or so later he was moving. I figuer he had a full stomach and was just digesting his food.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back