flippajh
Fish Crazy
Changed from gravel to sand at the weekend, only a little 65 litre tank, everything fine, love the new look of the tank, water stats have been fine, but yesterday tank looked a little cloudy and there was a funny floating film on the mopani wood, it looked like browny black cotton wool but thinner.
Then the cory's wouldn't eat, the Betta wolfed down his bloodworms tho! So did another water test and the nitrite was up to 0.25, ammonia 0, and Nitrates between 30 and 40 (tap is 20), so thought I'd do a 50% water change and skimmed all the film off the wood and had a vac of the yuck on the bottom. Gave the filter a rinse out in the removed water. It was pretty gunged up.
Came in today to find one of my albino cory's dead on the bottom and after testing the water, nitrites are looking slightly purpler than 0.25.
Does this happen regularly when a substrate change is made, is there a lot of good bacteria in the old substrate. I understand from other posts there is a bit in the substrate, but wasn't expecting a spike like this.
I suppose the answer is just keep doing biggish water changes?
Thanks
Then the cory's wouldn't eat, the Betta wolfed down his bloodworms tho! So did another water test and the nitrite was up to 0.25, ammonia 0, and Nitrates between 30 and 40 (tap is 20), so thought I'd do a 50% water change and skimmed all the film off the wood and had a vac of the yuck on the bottom. Gave the filter a rinse out in the removed water. It was pretty gunged up.
Came in today to find one of my albino cory's dead on the bottom and after testing the water, nitrites are looking slightly purpler than 0.25.
Does this happen regularly when a substrate change is made, is there a lot of good bacteria in the old substrate. I understand from other posts there is a bit in the substrate, but wasn't expecting a spike like this.
I suppose the answer is just keep doing biggish water changes?
Thanks







