Dead And Missing Cherry Barb

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

marnold00

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey,

I have a 65l long tank, with what used to be 8 baby cherry barbs.

All 8 were there at lunch today, and when i got home 1 was dead by the filter and i could only count 6 others. I quickly did a water change.

I tested my parameters just before the water change. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites 10 nitrates.

PH 7.4, Kh and GH both around 10. Tank temp at 24 degrees centigrade.

When the water was lower i had a look in my filter, under rocks, under wood, down the BACK of my aquarium and for the life of me i cannot find the 7th fish.

One of the fish kept getting harrassed and wasnt looking too good earlier today. This was either the dead or missing fish (the dead fish was a funny colour). I only had 2 that obviously looked like females of which the one that is missing was one, so if the one that died was indeed this one then exhaustion will have been the cause.

Id like to find the missing fish incase it's dead. I dont want it crashing the tank.

My tank only finished its fishless cycle 2 weeks ago and fish were added 9 or so days ago so it wouldnt surprise me if it turns out ive made a mistake here...

5 of the 6 i can see look very good. One is hiding a fair bit but is slowly coming out.

Theyre also paying no attention to the other one that looks potentially female. I guess it could be male - theyre all very young. All still under 1inch in length.

I also cant see it inside my filter... Im so confused. Been watching over an hour now!

Ok so the one that wasnt happy is now lying on a leaf and struggling to swim :'( whats happening guys?

Ok so i count 7 fish... I lifted the wood to have another look and thought i saw something. The fish thats struggling has what looks like small lacerations on one side and a scratch on top. I think he was actually stuck... The fish that seemed dodgy was constantly under the wood. Almost as if he knew! The other 6 are swimming as normal.

I now also know it was the harassed female that died.

How do i treat this fella? Hes struggling to swim. His spine sort of droops down as you get nearer the tail... And the others are nipping at him

I fed him a bloodworm which i thawed through a turkey baster so the others couldnt take it and he munched it right up. Hes now not lying on the floor and is swimming better. Hes droopy and cant fan our his fin (dunno what its called. The one on the tail of the fish). Im feeling confident though. Just gotta keep an eye out for infection.

From now on he shall be named Tim. As in Tiny Tim from a christmas carol... Thus fish is smaller than the others and tiny tim has a crutch... Atleast i think im funny...

Ive put them to bed now. He needs rest now i can see that he can swim. Set the timer so the tank lights come on an hour later, and ive put a towel over the tank which will stay there so its pitch black even when the sun rises. Ill take it off an hour and a half before the tank lights turn on so they dont get blinded... But i just need the other fish to be resting too so they dont try and play with him

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back