Day 19 Of My Fishless Cycle.

DAY 33 - 8.00pm

AMM 0.25 ppm

NITRITE 1.0 ppm

NITRATE 80

PH 7.5

Traces of both AMMONIA and NITRITE last night ?

John

DAY 34 8.00 am

AMMONIA 0

NITITE 0

NITRATE 80

PH 7.5

John.

The goal is to keep your nitrates no higher than 40ppm above your tap water.

You definitely need to do a massive water change at the end before you add the fish. And yes, 7 days is considered best, but 5 days is the minimum. You might not hit double zeros again tomorrow. It's seems strange, but these are biological processes, more than they are chemical, as much as we are focusing on the chemicals only. They might slow down for a day or so before going back to double zeros. So, if you don't get doubles tomorrow, don't let it bug you.

What is your stocking going to be?

Just as I predicted...

It happens, just stick with it. It will get there. You are on the homestretch now, just grit it out and keep researching your fish. ;) You could also research plants if you are inspired.

Hi,

DAY 34 - 8-00 pm

AMMONIA 0.50

NITITE 0.25

NITRATE 80 ppm

PH 7.6

You called it right OK.

Have now got a shortlist of fish for our 170 ltr community tank...what do you think to this list and Numbers ?

DRAGONHEAD TUXEDO GUPPY X 3

FLAMETAIL GUPPY X 3

SWORDTAILS ( 1 MALE AND 5 FEMALES )

ZEBRA DANIOS X 4

PANDA CORRIES X 2

CARDINAL/NEON TETRA X 4

FIVE BANDED BARBS X 6

CORYDORAS X 5

John

Have now got a shortlist of fish for our 170 ltr community tank...what do you think to this list and Numbers ?

DRAGONHEAD TUXEDO GUPPY X 3

FLAMETAIL GUPPY X 3

SWORDTAILS ( 1 MALE AND 5 FEMALES )

ZEBRA DANIOS X 4

PANDA CORRIES X 2

CARDINAL/NEON TETRA X 4

FIVE BANDED BARBS X 6

CORYDORAS X 5

John

It's a nice list, but I would suggest some minor changes:

Drop the danios and instead up the number of cardinals tetras (they look best in larger numbers)... I also wouldn't go with neons. Cardinals have a bit of better tolerance for higher pH than neons. Also, I wouldn't have two different types of corydoras. I'd either get 7 pandas, or 7 of another variety.

Finally, I wouldn't add them all at the same time. I'd add about 50% of them, then I would add them one more shoal at a time. Typically the way to add is to start with the hardiest and the most peaceful... and then add the more aggressive ones later.

Guppies, corydoras and cardinals would be best first... then the barbs and swordtails afterwards. The total is a bit high for the tank, but if you don't add the full allotment until about 6 months, the tank should be able to handle it. ;) Hope the doubles start rolling in every 12 hours for you!

DAY 35 - 8-00 am

AMM 0

NITRITE 0

NITRATE 80

PH 7.6

Thanks for the advice.

Fingers crossed.

John.

DAY 35 - 8-00 pm

AMMONIA 0

NITRITE 0

NITRATE 80/100

PH 7.6

John.

DAY 36 - 8-0 am

AMMONIA 0 ( DOSED WITH 4 ml )

NITRITE 0

NITRATE 100

PH 7.6

DAY 36 - 8-00 pm

AMMONIA 0

NITRITE 0

NITRATE 100 ppm

PH 7.6

John.

:-

Looks like you are really on your way now! Congrats... When are you planning to get fish?

Hi,

All clear again this morning.

Kids are chomping at the bit now,provided we get double zeros again over the next 48 hours,Im going to do a big water change on Sat night to get the NITRATES down,then we will add some fish over the next few days. Thanks for all the advice so far Eagles,learning how to do a fishless nitrogen cycle properly has been very interesting.

John.

It's been my pleasure. Good work! I think you will find it worth the effort in the end. :good:

Hi,

Still double zeros on AMM and NITRITE,apart from one tiny hic up last week. Nitrate remain around 80 ppm and PH is stable at 7.6.

Will do a large ( 90 % )water change tomorrow and then start the first part of the collection on Sunday. Kids want 5 tuxedo Guppies and 5 Micky mouse Platy fish (Sp )which I have to admit look nice,do these 2 go together, and is that amount ok in our 170 ltr tank to start with ? I still want some swordtails and corydoras, but they will now have to wait until next weekend or so. Have decided to stick with plastic plants for now,maybe switch to real plants later on.

Thoughts ?

John.

All those fish go together famously! 10 of those will fit nicely in 170 liters (~45 U.S. gallons) - that also leaves plenty of space for the swords and cories later. I would look carefully for a cory that can handle a slightly harder water and higher pH value - I think that Sterbais would be your best.

Hi,

Just completed a 90% water change. Used our subtrate 'hoover' for the first time. Gave the inside of the tank wall a good clean. Re-filled with de-clor water. Will do another API check in morning. Picking up said fish tomorrow,along with some more flake food and a bigger/better temp gauge. Have re-set the thermo to give a water temp of around 25 degrees. You mentioned a fish called a 'Sterbias Cory' ? Just google it,will they be OK with an undergravel filter system ? Also,we talked about Barbs,in particular 5 Banded types which dont 'nip' and are more placid and community friendly ? Having problems finding a LFS who stocks them to date, but will keep looking. Talking of food,is flake sufficent for said fish,or do I need another additive/option like bloodworm ect.. ? Kids all wanted different fish (nighmare),but they (and me)now realise some fish simply just dont get on. Will be keeping an eye on events over next few weeks as fish are gradually introduced,will also do regular small water changes and check filter pads weekly.

Have I missed anything ?

John.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back