Danios - Different types ?

Bloo

~ I learn something new ~ ~~~~ every day ~~~~
Reaction score
Is there a website or an article someone did (perhaps The-Wolf ?) on all the different types of Danios ?

I just went to my lfs and saw a few tanks with some gorgeous fishies in them - I was astound to hear that they were Danios.
I thought Danios only come in the stripy and spotty version (OK, Zebra and Leopard) :*)

On impulse I bought some gorgeous ones with a yellow tinge and what looks like bright luminous spots along the spine - they are probably about an inch at the moment and the chap said they shouldn't really get much larger than 2.5" (so I hope not :blink: ) But can't remember on the tank what they were.
Then there were some beautiful light pink ones next to them with large pink luminous spots along the lateral line. The guy couldn't tell me how big they would get or any info about them so as beautiful as they were, I left them (for now :hey: )

So can someone point me to a general Danio website ??

Edit: Wolf - I've just had a look at your website (I have to say there are some blasted popups - even though I have a pop up blocker! :X ) but anyway :) none of the ones I saw were any of those on your website :no:

Another edit: I decided to call the shop :lol: what I've bought are apparently "Danio Hikari Yellow" - but the pics I googled just don't like much like what I've bough and couldn’t possibly do justice to their gorgeous colours.

The pink ones are apparently "Danio Feegradei" - but I can't find any info whatsoever one them :dunno: nothing, zilch, zero, zip.

Goodness no. There are many different species of danio out there in the hobby. Most of them are relatively rare, unfortunately. The pearl danio is the exception and is just as common (in the US at least) as the zebra/leopard.

Not sure which exactly you found, but here are some danio possibilities from most to least common...

Pearl danio (danio albolineatus):
01%20danios%20pearl.jpg

Glowlight danio (danio choprae):
Danio.JPG

Blue danio (danio kerri):
danio_kerri_x.jpg

Sorry, I don't have a good danio link yet. Anyone else?

illusion54 said:
i remember seeing a link to a site in someones sig about danios, i cant seem to find it though.  :*)

Edit: Nevermind, found it http://www.danios.0catch.com/
[snapback]870536[/snapback]​
Thanks, yes that's The-Wolf's :) I've already checked it out, but still no info about the feegradei :blink:

They are gorgeous and I'd really like to get some - but not if they grow into giants !

Edit: just found a pic that look's a bit like what I was told is "Feegradei" but these are Danio Roseus (pic borrowed from this website)
DanioRoseus_klein.jpg

Hi bloo
danio hikari are a stunning fish
most places sell them as D.hikari sp blue and D.hikari sp yellow
they are males(yellow) and females(blue) of the same fish.

here is the info from my site (sorry about the popups, it's out of my control)Common name(s): NONE.
Scientific name: Danio Hikari.
Other Scientific names: Danio sp hikari.
Origin: Asia.
Family: Cyprinid.
Maximum Adult Size: 8cm / 3.25"
Minimum Tank Length: 24" / 61cm
Tank Requirements: Plenty of open space at the top and a good fitting lid, as with all Danios they can and will jump.
Temperature: 20-25c.
Description: A distinct broad horizontal bar of blue highlighted with gold on the top and bottom.
Feeding: Same as all danios.
Breeding: Easy. The same as danio rerio.
Wild Environment: Fast flowing streams and rivers, also found in ponds with water movement.

as for the Danio Freegradei I have very little info atm, but kerripaul has some so you may wish to pm him about them, I expec them to be as easy to keep as any other danio.

please post some pics of all you new fish asap :thumbs:

Thanks Wolf. I'd love to post pics, but the are like manic machines zooming as possessed through the tank ! :lol: So I'll certainly do my best to get a pic, but it might just be a blurry one and certainly won't do them justice :sad:

Would it be ok to have Feegradei in the same tank as the hikari ? - I certainly don't intend to breed and should there by any fry, they'd just get chomped up in a second anyway.

UBigBobby, thanks for those two pics, but nope the freegradei I saw looked somewhat similar but not alike either of those.

For pictures of all the danios including feegradei go to this site

the fish labelled danio xxx is Danio meghalayensis

http://www.btinternet.com/~louisa.york/str...s/article07.htm

bloozoo2 said:
Thanks Wolf. I'd love to post pics, but the are like manic machines zooming as possessed through the tank !  :lol:  So I'll certainly do my best to get a pic, but it might just be a blurry one and certainly won't do them justice  :sad:

Would it be ok to have Freegradei in the same tank as the hikari ? - I certainly don't intend to breed and should there by any fry, they'd just get chomped up in a second anyway.

UBigBobby, thanks for those two pics, but nope the freegradei I saw looked somewhat similar but not alike either of those.
[snapback]871064[/snapback]​

Most reactions

Back