Danio and Purple Emperor Tetra

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JCW_1

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am ready to add more fish to my tank, which currently houses 6 purple emperor tetra and a male guppy best kept alone due to aggression towards other guppy - he is happy alone with my tetra and has been adopted as one of their own.

I do not want multiple fish species in my tank and decided Danio is best suited if I add one more species. Everyone online seems to suggest Zebra Danio, but I prefer others and would rather keep one Danio species together with purple tetra..

In particular, I like the Celestial Pearl, Glowlight, Leopard and Electric Green/Pink Danio - does anyone keep Danio other than Zebra - and will they get along with purple tetra?

Danios might be a bit boisterous for Kerri Tetras (purple emperors).

How big is the tank?
If it's less than 30 inches long, I would avoid danios.

It always helps to have the scientific name so we are certain what species. "Purple Emperor" to me suggests the darker variety of the common Emperor, Nematobrycon palmeri, whereas Colin has mentioned a different species, "Kerri" tetra, Inpaichthys kerri. I have had both over the years, and they do have some significant behavioural differences.

Whichever tetra, a larger group is strongly advisable. Another five or six for 11-12 total would be to the fish's benefit.

Tank size as Colin noted is critical.

That's a shame - tank is 25 inches long. My tetra must be destined to have tank all to themselves!

It always helps to have the scientific name so we are certain what species. "Purple Emperor" to me suggests the darker variety of the common Emperor, Nematobrycon palmeri, whereas Colin has mentioned a different species, "Kerri" tetra, Inpaichthys kerri. I have had both over the years, and they do have some significant behavioural differences.

Whichever tetra, a larger group is strongly advisable. Another five or six for 11-12 total would be to the fish's benefit.

Tank size as Colin noted is critical.

Would you be able to clarify the scientific name of my tetra?

Thanks.

look like kerris (Inpaichthys kerri)
male emperor tetras get a little filament in the middle of the tail, Kerri tetras don't

I have both, but they are in a very heacily planted tank. The danios are the orange fin- Brachydanio kyathit and Collin_T is correct re Inpaichthys kerri. I took a bunch of them with me to sell at an event at which I was a vendor. I sold all but 4 or 5 and I kept them for myself.

I had the tetras already and a friend needed to rehome a number of fish and I offered to adopt them. So the danios went into the 75. I alsi have rummy nose tetras and long fin paleatus and albino aeneus cories in the tank.

I also keep the pearl danios (Celestichthys margaritatus) and they would not be a good choice. They are small timid fish. Mine are in a planted 5.5 gal. tanks along with red cherry shrimp. I have also kept and had breed zebra, rosea and choprae danios none of which I still have.

I have both, but they are in a very heacily planted tank. The danios are the orange fin- Brachydanio kyathit and Collin_T is correct re Inpaichthys kerri. I took a bunch of them with me to sell at an event at which I was a vendor. I sold all but 4 or 5 and I kept them for myself.

I had the tetras already and a friend needed to rehome a number of fish and I offered to adopt them. So the danios went into the 75. I alsi have rummy nose tetras and long fin paleatus and albino aeneus cories in the tank.

I also keep the pearl danios (Celestichthys margaritatus) and they would not be a good choice. They are small timid fish. Mine are in a planted 5.5 gal. tanks along with red cherry shrimp. I have also kept and had breed zebra, rosea and choprae danios none of which I still have.

When i have more experience i'll probably upgrade to a bigger tank. I'm still trial and error with plants - I planted a number of different species and some didn't work out while others are doing ok, which is what i will expand.

I concur with others here. A 25-inch long tank is small for such active fish (the tetras) but as it is a done deal, you have to do the best you can. There is no room for any other species with the I. kerri,

I concur with others here. A 25-inch long tank is small for such active fish (the tetras) but as it is a done deal, you have to do the best you can. There is no room for any other species with the I. kerri,

When i purchased the tank they told me it would house 35 fish!

In future i'll upgrade tank. For now they have room.

One of the most important lessons in fish keeping is never believe anything a shop tells you. Most of the workers haven't a clue (and this applies to independent shops as well a chains) and will make up anything to get a sale.
Though it would be possible to have 35 chili rasboras in your tank - fish just over a cm long :)

I didn't realise they were I. kerri, I assumed you had Nematobrycon palmeri :blush:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back