Dangers of feeding shrimp to Assassin Snails (and fish in general)?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jordan_Deus

Fish Crazy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I plan on buying 10 Assassin snails for my 60 gallon tank. There is a large population of Ramshorn snails in there that eat plants. I know they're not supposed to, and they don't eat mature leaves, but they do occasionally make small holes in new forming leaves on almost all my plants (including crypts, Anubias, Pennywort). I also want to make some extra change for fish food by breeding Assassins.

I have no doubt they will eradicate my Ramshorn population. I intend on raising a small population of ramshorns in a small 5 liter bowl. This bowl has Pothos growing out of it, Pennywort floating on the surface, and Bacopa growing emerged out of the bowl. I believe it will be able to support a small population of Ramshorns so that I can occasionally feed my assassins. In my shrimp and crayfish aquarium I have a large population of bladder snails that are too small to be noticed and eaten by the crayfish. Any Ramshorns I add to there will eventually get eaten by the crayfish. Seeing as these bladder snails are small, I'm not sure the assassins will be interested in them. I do not believe that I have enough snails to sustain the Assassin snails population long term. I'm not sure them scavenging left over flake food and bottom feeder pellets will be enough and I was wondering if feeding UNCOOKED shrimp to the angelfish and the assassin snails poses a threat to either of them?

Most reactions

trending

Back