BrockYoung
New Member
- Joined
- Jul 10, 2009
- Messages
- 5
- Reaction score
- 0
- Points
- 0
Hello all,
I'm an impatient person haha. I purchased a 50G tank yesterday. I do understand a bit about the nitrogen cycle, so I thought by keeping some buckets of cycled water, I would be able to kick start the cycle after I moved the tank. I've read up to find that this isn't the case so much. Now, when I unplugged the heater and filter, I didn't really ring the sponges out or anything, I just left them in the filter and placed it in a bag with some decorations and stuff. It took me about 2 and a half hours to get home and get the filter drawing water again.
I'm wondering if you think the bacteria would have dyed in that span of time? Im going to take some of my water into a pet store tonight to have it tested, but I'm at work right now and I'm curious. Can the bacteria live in "moist" conditions? I can't see the media drying out completely in that span of time...
Presuming the bacteria survived, how long will the tank need to be fully cycled and ready for some fish. Currently there are none in there, but I might add some zebra danios tonight to keep my ammonia up.
Ideas?
Thanks,
Brock
I'm an impatient person haha. I purchased a 50G tank yesterday. I do understand a bit about the nitrogen cycle, so I thought by keeping some buckets of cycled water, I would be able to kick start the cycle after I moved the tank. I've read up to find that this isn't the case so much. Now, when I unplugged the heater and filter, I didn't really ring the sponges out or anything, I just left them in the filter and placed it in a bag with some decorations and stuff. It took me about 2 and a half hours to get home and get the filter drawing water again.
I'm wondering if you think the bacteria would have dyed in that span of time? Im going to take some of my water into a pet store tonight to have it tested, but I'm at work right now and I'm curious. Can the bacteria live in "moist" conditions? I can't see the media drying out completely in that span of time...
Presuming the bacteria survived, how long will the tank need to be fully cycled and ready for some fish. Currently there are none in there, but I might add some zebra danios tonight to keep my ammonia up.
Ideas?
Thanks,
Brock







