Cycling, Stocking, and Remineralizing a 40 Gallon

Grez

Reaction score
Hi guys,
So I used to have a few tanks several years ago which sadly were lost in a fire. I'm finally getting back into the hobby and have some questions regarding cycling, remineralizing, etc. I've never properly cycled a tank, as I was able to use filter media/substrate from a friends tank which basically instantly cycled my tanks. I'm interested in doing a silent cycle. My plan is to get a bunch of fast-growing plants like anachris, swords, duckweed, dwarf sag, etc. and then slowly introduce the fish once I see the parameters are stable and the plants are growing.

Here's what I'd like to stock the tank with - either a 40, 50, or 55 gallon:
-- 12 Harlequin Rasboras
-- 6-8 Sterbai's
-- 6-10 Glass cats

From what I've read the temperament and parameters of these fish are compatible. What I wasn't sure of is how quickly to add the fish once my tank is setup: I was thinking of adding half the Rasboras to start, waiting a few weeks, and then adding the other half. From there I'd do the same with the corys and then glass cats. I haven't decided the exact tank I'm getting, but it will be at least a 40 breeder. Is this enough room for the aforementioned fishes?

Lastly, I'm trying to figure out the best way to remineralize my water. I'll be using RODI water, as my well water is very hard and contains several contaminants (e.g. nitrates, copper). I see Salty Shrimp gh+ seems to be highly reviewed, but can't find if it's also suitable for fish. It's marketed for Caridina shrimp. They also manufacture a product for fish called "Softwater GH+" but I couldn't find reviews or much info on it. Wondering what you guys use?

Best,
Grez

That sounds like a good set up and sensible planning. I would be inclined to add all of one species at a time to reduce stress and disease, so 12 rasbora together.
I'm pretty sure a couple of members use salty shrimp with fish. I haven't used it myself though.

Most reactions

Back