Cycling new tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hassan 2021

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi I've set up a new tank about 2 weeks ago (fishless cycling with some used filter floss from old cycles tank and some gravel) I have anubias java fern and java moss in the tank as well.

I have been adding some fish flakes from the last 2 days along with seecham stability. Initially I had 0 nitrite and 0 ammonia this test was done about a week ago. Today I repeated the test and its showing 0.2 ammonia and 1.0 nitrite.

My question is how far into the cycle is my tank?

Thank you

If you are seeing nitrite you are well into the cycle. You need to keep adding fish food (and removing old food before it goes mouldy) until both ammonia and nitrite drop to zero and stay there.

Since the plants you have are slow growing plants, they won't take up much ammonia. And using food to provide ammonia means you cannot know exactly how much ammonia has been added to the tank so there is no way to know how many bacteria have grown. When the tank is ready for fish, it is safer to add them a few at a time, and test every day after each addition. Only get the next batch when both ammonia and nitrite have been zero for a week.

Can you use bottled ammonia rather than fish food?

This is a much better way of adding ammonia as using fish food can lead to all sorts of issues, not least detritus worms and water issues but fish food is a very messy and inaccurate way of adding ammonia.

Dr Tims Ammonium Chloride is fine to use for Fishless cycles.

Follow this guide if you have not already started doing so -

Can you use bottled ammonia rather than fish food?

This is a much better way of adding ammonia as using fish food can lead to all sorts of issues, not least detritus worms and water issues but fish food is a very messy and inaccurate way of adding ammonia.

Dr Tims Ammonium Chloride is fine to use for Fishless cycles.

Follow this guide if you have not already started doing so -

That you for that article it is very useful as I already have nitrite present in the water now can I now use liquid ammonia or just carry on with flake food.

That you for that article it is very useful as I already have nitrite present in the water now can I now use liquid ammonia or just carry on with flake food.
Id use liquid ammonia, but please measure it out and dont just dump it in...

Yes you can use ammonia instead of fish food. The ammonia is the same, it's just easier to know how much you've added when it comes from a bottle.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back