Cycling new tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

SABWARNER16

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Okay trying to cycle 3.5 gallon tank and seen a lot of posts from people who went months without seeing results on their fishless cycling and Iā€™m trying to avoid that. Got the Fritz ammonium chloride and got it to about 2-3ppm. I have three swords in there with root tabs in plain gravel. Took a sponge from a mostly cycled tank and squeeze it into the filter area. Took new filter sponge and wedged it in there for a place for bacteria to grow I guess (Iā€™m still new at this). Added some API quick start which after researching, I have low hopes for. I ordered some Turbostart that will be here in Wednesday (I know not to use if it smells rotten). I used tap water that has a high pH and pretty hard water. Should I drain it and use bottled spring water, or just add Prime? Any tips on making this go faster than 4 months would be great

I would use the tap water (just keep the hardness in mind when adding fish.) Definitely add the Prime, so the chlorine/chloramine doesn't kill off the bacteria before it gets started. make sure to have a test kit, so you can monitor the parameters. You won't have any way of knowing how fast it's cycling without testing the water. :)

I would use the tap water (just keep the hardness in mind when adding fish.) Definitely add the Prime, so the chlorine/chloramine doesn't kill off the bacteria before it gets started. make sure to have a test kit, so you can monitor the parameters. You won't have any way of knowing how fast it's cycling without testing the water. :)

Awesome, thanks so much

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back