Cycling new tank help

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

chiara

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am cycling a new tank and donā€™t want to make a mistake, any advice is much appreciated !

so basically itā€™s my second tank, finally gave in (been thinking about it for a looong time) and set up a 5 gallons for a Betta.

Iā€™ve put in a couple of live plants and a couple of small moss balls, added a piece of sponge from the filter of my other (mature) tank, put in some food (flakes) and a frozen pea (to create ammonia) activated the filter al left it alone for a week.

After a week I noticed two snails in the tank (hitchhikers on the plants I guess) they ate the whole pea so I added a little more flakes.

At this point tested the water: zero ammonia, very high nitrites.

at this point, advised by my local shop, I purchased Tetra Safe Start and dumped in the whole bottle and added a few more flakes.

After that I didnā€™t add anymore flakes as I noticed that the snails are pooping a lot! Lots of it on the substrate, figured maybe itā€™s enough ammonia for a tiny 5 gallons...

A few days gone by, tested the water again: zero ammonia , nitrites lowered a bit.

Waited a few more days and today tested the water again: zero ammonia, nitrites 0.25 ppm

at this point is it safe to put the Betta in or is it too early? Or Should I wait for nitrites to go down to zero?

Last edited:
What kind of test kit are you using?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back