Cycling new tank faster

Voorhee

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was wonder something..

I'm planing on buying a new Fluval 304 for my 65 gal tank..

and was wondering can i hook it up to my 75gal planted tank? and move the Fluval 404 to the 65gal which will be overstocked lol.. aswell as a powerhead 402 with filter that has been running in 75 gal and is nice and dirty lol..

would that work?

and would the planted tank be ok with new filter?

how about putting half the media from your old filter into your new filter so in each you have half new and half 'dirty' media, also try the old trick of putting some of the gravel (if thats whtas in your established tank) into a pair of tights/stocking/pop socks, and hang it in your new tank by the filter.

it worked for me, but someone might have a better idea

Just run the new filter on the either cycled tank for a week or two alongside the established filters. Add some of the filter media from the old filter, as lady_tanksalot said and it should be good and cycled in no time.

Good luck! :thumbs:

how fast should it cycle? i mean do i need to throw fish in there right away to keep bacteria alive?

Cloning an aquarium

You will need;
An existing mature aquarium or access to one.

1. Siphon some tank water (from the mature tank) into a bucket.
2. Rinse the filter media (of the mature tank) in this bucket of water
3. Take you new filter media and also rinse this in the bucket.
4. Now add this new media to your new filter in your new aquarium. It now contains some of the beneficial bacteria.
5. Take some of the substrate from the mature tank and place it in some stockings (new preferably) and lay this on the new tanks substrate. The bacteria will multiply and migrate to the clean substrate.
6. After a few days remove the old substrate from your new tank and put back into the mature tank, without the stockings of course.
7. You now have a cloned tank and are ready for fish.

This process takes 2 to 3 days to complete. However be aware that adding too many fish at one time could overload the bacteria, causing the aquarium to re-cycle.

Great but won't the bacteria die with no fish in the tank producing waste for the 2-3 days?

also can i pour about 10-20 gallon of water from my mature tank over to the new tank?

Most reactions

Back