Cycling new filter using old?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sweeden

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I want to change my old internal filter for my new hang on filter. They've now been both running on the same time for a week.

How long before the new filter is ready to run alone and I can put old filter into another tank?

Cheers

Are you using the old filter as a secondary replacement for another tank? Or wanting to start a new tank with that old filter? When I first started with a ten gallon aquarium kit a few years back I replaced the filter but kept them both running in the same tank for at least two weeks so they'd share the cycled water. I then cut out the filter media from the old filter and placed it inside the new for a couple of days for good measure. You don't want to lose that good bacteria :D

Are you using the old filter as a secondary replacement for another tank? Or wanting to start a new tank with that old filter? When I first started with a ten gallon aquarium kit a few years back I replaced the filter but kept them both running in the same tank for at least two weeks so they'd share the cycled water. I then cut out the filter media from the old filter and placed it inside the new for a couple of days for good measure. You don't want to lose that good bacteria :D
Setting up a new tank. but main reason is so my Betta isn't blown around the tank so bought the new HOB filter. will run them both for 3 more weeks for good measure. tanks been running for 4 years so well cycled. new filter has been running for a week now at same time.

Is the old tank going to be kept going? Personally, my method is to take out about a third of the filter material, put it in the new filter (may need cutting up) and top both up with new media. Then you can generally run both filters. If the old tank is going then just cram as much old media in the new one as you can.

Is the old tank going to be kept going? Personally, my method is to take out about a third of the filter material, put it in the new filter (may need cutting up) and top both up with new media. Then you can generally run both filters. If the old tank is going then just cram as much old media in the new one as you can.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back