Cycling A Tank With An Under Gravel Filter...

amyw2008

Fishaholic
Joined
Jul 7, 2009
Messages
531
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Bristol
If I was to get a tank with an under gravel filter and use gravel and water from current tank, would it still need to be cycled?

Just wondering as I didnt think under gravel filters had any media stuff in them?

:good:
 
Yes it would still require cycling. Gravel from a 'normal' tank wont contain enough bacteria to instantly cycle another tank. In an undergravel filtered tank the gravel becomes the media but the gravel contains much more beneficial bacteria due to the fact that the water is sucked and pumped through the gravel. Bacteria grows best where there is good water movement.

On another note, I personally wouldnt recommend an undergravel filter, they are old technology and although they work well, they are an absolute nightmare to maintain.

Andy
 
Thanks :)
Was only going to use an under gravel filter as thats what the new tank comes with...

If i was to take some mature media from my filter (which is almost like foam sheets) and place them on top of the under gravel filter and then put the gravel on top... Would that make it ok?
Just wondering as the filter I have has packed up and its cheaper for me to get him a new/bigger tank but use the media from the filter that stopped working this morning.
 
You could either do that or hang the mature filter media in your tank in a stocking or something for a few weeks until the bacteria colonises in your gravel. If you put it under the gravel you would have to ensure the water flow wasnt obstructed.

What size is the tank? In my opinion you'd be better taking out the undergravel filter completely, getting a cheap fluval 2/3/4+ internal filter and putting your mature media in that.

Andy
 
I will have to have a think as I am getting a nearly new Aquastart 320 for £15 which is cheaper than me going out and getting a new filter....
The tank is 28ltrs

:)
 
It's totally upto you. I can see you obviouly want the bigger tank.

What I would do if you have the money is get the new tank, take out the undergravel filter and get a fluval 1+ filter from charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk for under £12

you'd then have a new bigger tank and good filter for under 30 squid!

That's personally what I'd do, simply because it is worth the hassle of maintaining and undergravel filter for the sake of £12 which an internal would cost

Andy
 

Most reactions

Back
Top