Cycling A Small Tank For Fry

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sussexgirl

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
If I was to set up a 28L tank for my 11 platy fry (that are 3 days old and currently in a breeder net in my main tank) then do I need to cycle it first or can I just use gravel from my existing tank and water and just transfer them in?

I've been looking at buying the Aqua One 'Aqua Style 126' aquarium that holds 22L or possibly the Aqua One 320 which holds 28L. The former has the trickle filtration in the hood and the latter has undergravel filtration. I've already found 4 fry swimming about round the ceramic noodles in my filter today but at least I could get them out ok and put them into the breeder net. I'm not familiar with undergravel fiters and worry this wouldn't be possible with them?

So after all this rambling, I'm basically asking

- do I need to cycle new tank or will existing tank gravel, filter and water be suffice?
- which is best for a fry tank 'wet trickle' or 'undergravel' filtration?
- At what point should I transfer fry from breeder net to new aquarium?

Thanks! :S

I would try and get a 10gal if you can, as you have to feed fry alot and it soons mess with water quality.
I wouldn't bother with a undergravel filter don't like them and small fish can get stuck in them, i would buy a fitler.
If your establised tank has no desease in it, take some gravel out and add to the new tank, them from your establised filter just take a muture sponge and add it to the new filter, good luck.
When you remove the fry from the net to the tank, match temp and ph.

I would try and get a 10gal if you can, as you have to feed fry alot and it soons mess with water quality.
I wouldn't bother with a undergravel filter don't like them and small fish can get stuck in them, i would buy a fitler.
If your establised tank has no desease in it, take some gravel out and add to the new tank, them from your establised filter just take a muture sponge and add it to the new filter, good luck.
When you remove the fry from the net to the tank, match temp and ph.

Thanks Wilder but I hate to say I 'have' to go with a small tank because I just don't have room for anything bigger. I'll just have to maintain it vigilantly. I'm only intending it to house the fry for a few weeks and will do regular water changes as I've heard fry thrive in pristine water.

I definitely wouldn't go with an undergravel filter as i have heard stories of fry getting stuck in them and dying.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back