Cycling A Planted Shrimp Tank

Craster

Fish Crazy
Joined
Mar 28, 2008
Messages
244
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Hello folks. I am starting off a 40l planted tank for shrimp. I have everything set up and am dosing to get the filter going whilst also planting out the plants. I am using Glosso, Moss, and Java Ferns.

My problem is that to give the plants the best head start, I want high CO2 and low temperature. To give the filter bacteria the best head start, I want high O2 and high temperature. So what's the best option? Aim for somewhere in the middle?

Thanks.
 
the plants will be ok at a high temp for a while about 28 will be ok

high CO2 and O2 is achievable so there are no worries. if you dose High CO2 and ferts then the plants produce oxygen as a product of photosynthesis.
 
no they wont, your cycle will take only a little bit longer but, so what? lol whats in it a few days?

just keep it at the temp its going to be at in the future, and dose lots of CO2,

do you have another tank?
 
That's what I figured, thanks - just wanted to make sure I was actually going to be able to cycle it successfully at around 22 degrees.

I have got another tank, and I've put a section of media in the new filter.
 
cram the tank full - and i mean full of plants then the plants will use the ammonia produced - shrimp only give off tiny amounts anyway so you wont notice an ammonia reading, the filter will also cycle.
To help add some pond weed (egeria densa) to help soak up the ammonia as they are fast growing.
 
cram the tank full - and i mean full of plants then the plants will use the ammonia produced - shrimp only give off tiny amounts anyway so you wont notice an ammonia reading, the filter will also cycle.
To help add some pond weed (egeria densa) to help soak up the ammonia as they are fast growing.

I was thinking about that - having enough plants to completely absorb the bioload from the shrimp - but then if I do that will enough get to the filter to grow a decent culture?
 
cram the tank full - and i mean full of plants then the plants will use the ammonia produced - shrimp only give off tiny amounts anyway so you wont notice an ammonia reading, the filter will also cycle.
To help add some pond weed (egeria densa) to help soak up the ammonia as they are fast growing.

I was thinking about that - having enough plants to completely absorb the bioload from the shrimp - but then if I do that will enough get to the filter to grow a decent culture?

yes, this is the method used by most planted folk these days.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top