Cycling a betta tank

gadazobe

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Well, I've got the double hex set up - gravel, silk plants a couple of hidey holes and that's it. The tank has UGF and one heater. The lights over it are coloured so that rules out live plants :( and now I want to get a betta. Do I have to cycle the tank first :what: I thought that because it was so small (about 4.5 gallons each side) that it would be ok to add just the one betta for now, and then a few weeks later when the tank is more stable, to add the clean up crew. I've cycled 2 tanks already, but they were much larger. When I do add more fish, what can I put in with a betta in such a small tank? I want a 2 or 3 corys for cleaning and I thought maybe a couple of something else, but what something I don't really know :( Any suggestions please :)

Personally I'd fishless cycle. Fishless cycling

It'll mean your betta doesn't have to go through the stress of the cycle. Male bettas are already in their prime when they are sold and only have a short life after that (~2 yrs I think), why shorten it further by putting him through a cycle?

If you add gravel from your established tanks you'll cycle the tank faster.

HTH
Tat

I always do the fishless cycle. Just seems safer to me.

As you're using a filter it's best to cycle. the fishless being the safest option.. add some water from an established tank and you should be safe after a week. If you weren't using the filter you could add the betta now but you would have to do full water changes every week. monitor the water and when the ammonia drops to a sfae level you can add the betta. it should'nt be adversley affected if it is. best thing to do is be patient. adding established water will speed the proccess up.

Most reactions

Back