Cycle

would you use it and why

  • yes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
Almost all "bacteria in the bottle" products do not work, for two reasons;

1)The bacteria in them is dead

2)The bacteria was the wrong species to begin with.

For this reason, I do not waste my money on this "snake oil". Of course, the person that voted yes is welcome to contradict that view should they choose to do so. You never know, there may have been some recent research showing how they can work that has come out recently that I don't know about, and I may learn something from a theoretical standpoint. This won't change what I've found in practice though, unless all the manufacturers have changed their products overnight. I find that hard to believe since most are denying that they still use the wrong bacteria in there products, almost 10 years since the research showing their error was brought out :lol:

All the best
Rabbut
 
i had some free with the kids tank (didnt use it )

as i am cycling a new tank i might see what if any thing happens

so i can test this product safly with no fish

just got to wait for the test kit and then should be set
 
Almost all "bacteria in the bottle" products do not work, for two reasons;

1)The bacteria in them is dead

2)The bacteria was the wrong species to begin with.

For this reason, I do not waste my money on this "snake oil". Of course, the person that voted yes is welcome to contradict that view should they choose to do so. You never know, there may have been some recent research showing how they can work that has come out recently that I don't know about, and I may learn something from a theoretical standpoint. This won't change what I've found in practice though, unless all the manufacturers have changed their products overnight. I find that hard to believe since most are denying that they still use the wrong bacteria in there products, almost 10 years since the research showing their error was brought out :lol:

All the best
Rabbut

I wasn't the person who had voted 'yes' at the time of your post, Rabbut, but I have since voted 'yes' and here is why (note that a couple of months back my answer would have been the same as yours).

Take a look at the linked thread, and in particular post # 13. It basically shows that Timothy Hovanec found that whilst Nutrafin Cycle doesn't contain the correct NOB (Nitrospira), it does promote it's growth by having a fertiliser type effect.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=278282

It doesn't seem to mention the effect on the AOB Nitrosomonas, which is a shame.

BTT
 
Almost all "bacteria in the bottle" products do not work, for two reasons;

1)The bacteria in them is dead

2)The bacteria was the wrong species to begin with.

For this reason, I do not waste my money on this "snake oil". Of course, the person that voted yes is welcome to contradict that view should they choose to do so. You never know, there may have been some recent research showing how they can work that has come out recently that I don't know about, and I may learn something from a theoretical standpoint. This won't change what I've found in practice though, unless all the manufacturers have changed their products overnight. I find that hard to believe since most are denying that they still use the wrong bacteria in there products, almost 10 years since the research showing their error was brought out :lol:

All the best
Rabbut

I wasn't the person who had voted 'yes' at the time of your post, Rabbut, but I have since voted 'yes' and here is why (note that a couple of months back my answer would have been the same as yours).

Take a look at the linked thread, and in particular post # 13. It basically shows that Timothy Hovanec found that whilst Nutrafin Cycle doesn't contain the correct NOB (Nitrospira), it does promote it's growth by having a fertiliser type effect.

[URL="http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=278282"]http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=278282[/URL]

It doesn't seem to mention the effect on the AOB Nitrosomonas, which is a shame.

BTT

Interesting, i might try and run similar tests on the other non-refrigerated competitors, when i move to plymouth uni in september, i would be really interested to see the result. Could re-trail the hagen cycle too.

andrew
 
Oh Rabbut, I know it's "snake oil", but it makes you feel better to use it! :)

No, in all seriousness where I have to perform a fish in cycle for lack of better planning (last minute house moves etc) I do use cycle, and it does have an effect.

How strong the effect is I do not know, but my most recent change to the 200 litre tank had me performing a cycle with a few of my hardier fish in the tank as there was only enough room in the small tank and bucket for the majority of others. I would also have added some bacteria to my tank in the gravel that I transplanted from the old tank into the new one. Not loads of bacteria but some - and some is all that was needed.

I never had an ammonia reading.. slight colouration of the test solution but not a "scorable" level. The Nitrite only just scored and the Nitrate took a while to start coming but I put that down to the tank being so large a volume.

I believe the effect the cycle had was to enforce the growth of the bacteria that were already there in the tank (from the gravel I transplanted) Id use the stuff again - however I WOULD NOT rely on it to keep my fish safe. I would still reduce feeding until a bioload can be sustained, and maintain water quality through water changes. (lots of testing!)
 
What do you know, research suggests it will help :good: I though I'd read most of Hovenec's papers on this matter also :blush:

I stand corrected :good:

Not a fantastic product that allows you to fully stock the tank, more a supplemental fishless cycling aid if you get it with the tank. still not a think I'd spend any money on though, especially since I have more than enough spare media ATM to just clone any new tanks...

All the best
Rabbut
 
I tried it and it didn't really do anything... I ended up getting mature filter media.

That's always the best way to go. :clap:

Yeah, at the time i didn't know it was an option, until i noticed there was someone on the list of members willing to donate in my area and went to pick up, and now im on that qualifying week of clear results now and i cant wait to start slowly stocking up my tank.
 
We got some when we first started this hobby and it did absolutely nothing for our tank.
So no, I wouldn't buy any ever again.
 
still not a think I'd spend any money on though, especially since I have more than enough spare media ATM to just clone any new tanks...

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't buy it, nor would I advise anyone else to buy it. There are much better and much cheaper ways to cycle a tank.

I was just throwing out there the point that its not as useless as we all previously thought.

Cheers :good:

BTT
 
thanks guys thats what i thought cause my lfs and i are now good mates i get every product i buy for wholesale, i think hes trying to make up for it
 
... I do use cycle, and it does have an effect.

How strong the effect is I do not know,

Then, how do you know it has an effect? This is one of the most basic tenants of scientific inquiry -- if something is present, it must be detectable by some means. Otherwise, 1) there is no evidence that that something does exist and 2) it doesn't matter if it exists or not if there is no detection possible.

For example, if I said I had an invisible dog that lives in my backyard that leaves no evidence of its existence... does it really exist? Does it even matter? No, because there is no evidence.

So, again, look at your statements here -- "It does have an effect" and "how strong the effect is I do not know". Well, if you don't know how strong the effect is, how do you know it has any at all?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top