Cycle done and ready to stock?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Rhianne

Reaction score
Iā€™ve been cycling my fluval edge 46l for around 4-5 weeks and tonightā€™s test I finally have a nitrate spike :banana: and no ammonia and nitrites so I think Iā€™m finally at the end of the cycle.

Iā€™m looking at stocking next weekend finally!

Any suggestions as to what would be best for a soft water with low ph?

Iā€™m thinking some smaller corys and shrimp to start and maybe something to eat the algae Iā€™ve got on my plants:alien:

The Edge has a small footprint - it's the same as the 23 litre version, 43 x 26 cm (17 x 10 inches), so you need nano fish. It might be OK for one of the dwarf cory species (pygmaeus, habrosus and hastatus) which need a group of at least 10.
With soft water you could look at one of the Boraras species

Shrimps will eat some algae, but one of the best algae eaters is nerite snails. I'm afraid there are no algae eating fish suitable for a tank this size.

just a head up. I once cycled a tank to 0 nitrites and ammonia. I slowly stocked my tank with 2 fish for 2 consecutive weekends. My 36 gallon had a nitrate spike to red (API test kit) which was about 80ppm. The nitrates remained high for a about 3 weeks even with water changes. I ended up losing all four fish.
Just be sure your nitrates are in line with what you plan on putting in your tank.
most of all, good luck and keep us updated on how you are doing!

Most reactions

Back