Curious as to what other hobbies you guys have ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

snailaquarium

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi,

Was just wondering what other hobbies you guys are doing besides the aquarium side of things. What do you do, how did you get into it and what did you like about it.

I used to play computer games but I'm not really into them anymore, might end up on them again owing to lock down lol. I used to cycle, but use indoor bike at present, I collect unusual / novel cigarette lighters with character. Antique lighters generally. Been studying a lot of self help with psychology stuff like nlp, how to be a better you and be more empowered etc.

Love to visit carboot sales but who knows if that is going to be going on this year with social distancing measures. Gonna miss them.

Main hobbies for me are horses, cross stitching and knitting.
Horses I've been mad about since I was a kid and I was a riding instructor until a couple of years ago but quit to care for my mum. Now I share a horse with someone so I'm still riding and being around them, mostly just being around them since the horse is lame at the moment.
Knitting I started because I was looking for hobbies for my mum to do so found a knit and natter group at a local craft shop and we've been going until lock down put a stop to it. Not doing much knitting at the moment because I picked a difficult project and I've got bored of it essentially.
Got into cross stitching because they had kits at the shop and I love it. Just about to finish a big piece for my sister and then got many more I want to do.

As you know I am home schooled so I always at home, my hobbies are; playing video games, building stuff with Lego, stuffing animal (no im not killing them), sleep.

I want to say that I knit, crochet, felt, paint, sew(badly), read a lot of novels, garden and grow veg, cook, bake, ferment, preserve fruit, and mountain walk. In truth I just tidy up after toddlers and stare into space whenever I have free moment trying to remember what I needed to get done and wondering why my house is full of wool.

Hi,

Was just wondering what other hobbies you guys are doing besides the aquarium side of things. What do you do, how did you get into it and what did you like about it.

I used to play computer games but I'm not really into them anymore, might end up on them again owing to lock down lol. I used to cycle, but use indoor bike at present, I collect unusual / novel cigarette lighters with character. Antique lighters generally. Been studying a lot of self help with psychology stuff like nlp, how to be a better you and be more empowered etc.

Love to visit carboot sales but who knows if that is going to be going on this year with social distancing measures. Gonna miss them.
What is nlp?

I want to say that I knit, crochet, felt, paint, sew(badly), read a lot of novels, garden and grow veg, cook, bake, ferment, preserve fruit, and mountain walk. In truth I just tidy up after toddlers and stare into space whenever I have free moment trying to remember what I needed to get done and wondering why my house is full of wool.
Does that mean somewhere there is a house full of sheep wondering why they are naked?
:)
Also, how does one felt? I have a wonderful wool scarf that got put in with the wrong load of laundry. I actually liked the result, it shriveled and got really dense. It didn't get tumble dried so I blocked it out to dry. I like how tough it is now.

Last edited:
Main hobbies for me are horses, cross stitching and knitting.
Horses I've been mad about since I was a kid and I was a riding instructor until a couple of years ago but quit to care for my mum. Now I share a horse with someone so I'm still riding and being around them, mostly just being around them since the horse is lame at the moment.
Knitting I started because I was looking for hobbies for my mum to do so found a knit and natter group at a local craft shop and we've been going until lock down put a stop to it. Not doing much knitting at the moment because I picked a difficult project and I've got bored of it essentially.
Got into cross stitching because they had kits at the shop and I love it. Just about to finish a big piece for my sister and then got many more I want to do.
Your mom is fortunate to have you spending time doing creative things together!
Share your cross stitch project, if you want!
I can't sew or knit or do much of those crafts, things always get tangled and knotted up.

Does that mean somewhere there is a house full of sheep wondering why they are naked?
:)
Also, how does one felt? I have a wonderful wool scarf that got put in with the wrong load of laundry. I actually liked the result, it shriveled and got really dense. It didn't get tumble dried so I blocked it out to dry. I like how tough it is now.
Hah, there are a few ways to felt. The easiest way is to get a premade item like your scarf and shrink it on purpose with water, heat and rubbing. Washing machine do this easily but the results are really unpredictable. Other ways use cleaned and combed wool ‘roving’ which can be shaped dry with a barbed felting needle or wet with soap and water or both. There are lots of tutorials online and so many variations and combinations of techniques to play with

Hah, there are a few ways to felt. The easiest way is to get a premade item like your scarf and shrink it on purpose with water, heat and rubbing. Washing machine do this easily but the results are really unpredictable. Other ways use cleaned and combed wool ‘roving’ which can be shaped dry with a barbed felting needle or wet with soap and water or both. There are lots of tutorials online and so many variations and combinations of techniques to play with
Sooo cool.
Would love to try this someday!

Neuro Linguistic Programming, its a form of psychotherapy to help people overcome issues using tried and tested techniques.
I see, building those new neural pathways can be hard, especially if the old ones are stubborn. It can be done, I've had some success with some issues, others, not so much

I paint, collage, decoupage, walk, and read.
Oh, and make bead necklaces..LOVE to cook, and also I enjoy houseplants.

Lately it's just been my tanks and houseplants. I will be glad to get my last tank established so I can go back to some of my other things.!!!

I used to do a lot of knitting, crochet and cross stitch but I've not done much lately as my wardrobe can't hold any more clothes, and there's no wall space left :sad: I never did the cross stitch exactly the same as the pattern, there is always something I don't like, or it's the fabric I don't like (I hate bits of unstitched aida fabric so I fill that bit in with stitches the same colour as the fabric or use linen instead) or it's the count I don't like (I do everything in 18 st per inch)

Besides fish forums, my other main pass time is family history. I haven't unearthed any skeletons in any closets yet, unless you count the number of illegitimate ancestors......

I used to do a lot of knitting, crochet and cross stitch but I've not done much lately as my wardrobe can't hold any more clothes, and there's no wall space left :sad: I never did the cross stitch exactly the same as the pattern, there is always something I don't like, or it's the fabric I don't like (I hate bits of unstitched aida fabric so I fill that bit in with stitches the same colour as the fabric or use linen instead) or it's the count I don't like (I do everything in 18 st per inch)

Besides fish forums, my other main pass time is family history. I haven't unearthed any skeletons in any closets yet, unless you count the number of illegitimate ancestors......
Okay okay, let me know when you get to the skeleton part! ;)

Your mom is fortunate to have you spending time doing creative things together!
Share your cross stitch project, if you want!
I can't sew or knit or do much of those crafts, things always get tangled and knotted up.
I've still got the back stitch to do on it but the cross stitch part is now finished and once lock down is over I'll get it framed for her.
IMG_20200410_213144.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Back