Curiosity

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cichlid_freak

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I am curious about a "cold water" pond. I put cold water in quotes because Texas isn't the best environment for "cold water."

That said, there is a koi farm and a few koi ponds in the area. I was wondering if I were to set up a "cold water" pond, how do I get it cold? I would assume the best way is to put it deeper in the ground. However, I do have a problem with ground water. Being on the coastal plain means that after about 1 foot, you get water. I wouldn't think this is much problem since I will have a liner, but I was wondering if this will "float" the liner.

Also, I was wondering if there is some way to seam a liner together. I want to make a layered pond and don't want is square. How do you put more than one sheet together, and how do you do the curves?

What is a good filtering system for say a 200 gal. pond or so? I know a person with a koi pond that has a "bubble bead" filter, but it looks really expensive. She also has ozone, UV, and any other contraption you can think of on this thing. I do want to have a reliable system, that takes care of a faily large bio-load for its price. Also, it has to be easily accessed, because my mom and dad aren't too able bodied, and this will be their pond. I was thinking of building up the banks with the soil that I dig out, and puting the filter in a little housing in the side of a bank. This will allow the bank to be higher and also hide the necessary plumbing.

Also, I want some good lillies to put in there. I have 3 lilly/lotus bulbs in my aquariums, and was wondering if they would be ok to put in there, with others of course. Any other bog plant suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you for your resposes. Pondlady, I know you'll have a blast with this one.

there are allot of heated ponds around but i dont know much about them only thing would be heating them at night in texas i spose... anyway cooling a pond might be more complicated water conditioning is not something people normally bother to do as the water can heat up to a quite high temp before the cold water fish die. for instance i had goldfish at tropical temps before now and they dont seem to mind.. one thing about koi carp that may only have occoured ot me is that they come from a tropical climate... japan... about the same temp as taxas... does this mean that they cool all the lakes out there ... i knew those guys where extravigant but i had not thaught they would go to that length.. j/k i would just make a pond worry more about the plant sellection and perhaps give the pond a section of shade put in things like water lilly. but appart form that i cant see a problem good luck with your pond hope it all goes well :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back