Cruel!

rocknurworld2006

Fish Aficionado
Joined
Oct 4, 2007
Messages
3,384
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Aberdeen
Hi ive just been into acorn pets

and they have a tank full of gourmais (various) and in with it malawi cichlids including severel auratus!

i sadi to them and they said that they seem to be ok with that evn though theyre were several dead bodies about
and after they get a bit bigger they put them in with the barbs.

is there anything i can do to stop this how horrible

also they are keeping danios in cold water.
 
The best thing you could do is to stop shopping at the shop and tell everybody you know to not go there. Hopefully, if they don't get enough business they will shut down. I dont think there is anything legal you do about it which is crappy as you can't make the shop own up to its lack of care for the fish...
 
You see this sort of thing all the time, as said, just dont shop there :)
 
People seem to assume that because there is no heter in a commercial fish-rooms tank, that they aren't being heated to tropical temperatures. If I had a penny for every comment made on a typical saturday at the shop I work at, on the subject, I'd probibly be quite ritch. Filters and lightling hold the air temperature our fish-room at 26c during winter and 35c in summer. All the tanks are heated by the air to the air temperature. We have no heaters in the room ATM, but we still have trouble keeping the tropical fish cool enough to survive during summer, let alone the coldwater section....

How do you know they were being kept at cold water temperature? Was there a Thermomiter in the tank?

IMO mixing malawis with anything else is risky, but I currently have no direct experience with them. If there were a lot of corpses in the display, with no effort being made to remove them, you could try the RSPCA, but TBH I don't see them doing much about it :sad:

Boycotting is about the only way to grab the attention of the shop management, but this only works if you don't let them know it is going on untill they anounce that they are struggling to make money... For it to get to that point, you would need a fair few people to be with you, probibly for some time...

All the best
Rabbut
 
People seem to assume that because there is no heter in a commercial fish-rooms tank, that they aren't being heated to tropical temperatures. If I had a penny for every comment made on a typical saturday at the shop I work at, on the subject, I'd probibly be quite ritch. Filters and lightling hold the air temperature our fish-room at 26c during winter and 35c in summer. All the tanks are heated by the air to the air temperature. We have no heaters in the room ATM, but we still have trouble keeping the tropical fish cool enough to survive during summer, let alone the coldwater section....

How do you know they were being kept at cold water temperature? Was there a Thermomiter in the tank?

IMO mixing malawis with anything else is risky, but I currently have no direct experience with them. If there were a lot of corpses in the display, with no effort being made to remove them, you could try the RSPCA, but TBH I don't see them doing much about it :sad:

Boycotting is about the only way to grab the attention of the shop management, but this only works if you don't let them know it is going on untill they anounce that they are struggling to make money... For it to get to that point, you would need a fair few people to be with you, probibly for some time...

All the best
Rabbut

but its a chanin shop thats the problem
 
Not gonna lie... doesn't suprise me at all if its one of the big chains. They don't pay their people enough to care about the fish and the fish they get are usually rotten as they look for the cheapest farmer who sells to them... Said story, but not suprising.... maybe thats the sadest part, that it doesn't suprise me :unsure:

Ox :good:
 
People seem to assume that because there is no heter in a commercial fish-rooms tank, that they aren't being heated to tropical temperatures. If I had a penny for every comment made on a typical saturday at the shop I work at, on the subject, I'd probibly be quite ritch. Filters and lightling hold the air temperature our fish-room at 26c during winter and 35c in summer. All the tanks are heated by the air to the air temperature. We have no heaters in the room ATM, but we still have trouble keeping the tropical fish cool enough to survive during summer, let alone the coldwater section....
I agree completely, there is a specialty fish shop near me the store is like a sauna and only the biggest tanks have heaters in them. The doors are always open in the summer and quite often in the winter too.

If you don't like how the store cares for or stocks its fish, just don't shop there. The closes LPS near me makes walmart's fish section look nice. I'm very picky about where I buy fish, I only go to two stores which are an hour away. One tends to use scientific names over common names, which is really nice. I think the store also has an import license.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top