Cross stitch

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I am hopeless at art but I can do cross stitch using someone else's creative ideas :)

I started my current one early July this year. It's the biggest one I've ever done so it will take me some time to complete. When finished it will be 66 x 45 cm, or 26.1 x 17.8 inches. The pattern comes on 16 sheets in a 4.x 4 layout and I'm currently on the third of the bottom row. Each pattern piece contains around 9000 stiches.

Excuse the fabric strip, it's there to keep the top clean and when I work on the next section there will another strip protecting the part I'm currently working on. The black mark on the bottom tape is a half way marker for attaching the aida fabric to the frame.

Merged image 4.jpg

This link contains the finished image

Looking good....I don't have the patience for cross stitch sadly, tried it a couple times but stabbed myself too many times and it ended up in the bin

Yours is going to be spectacular once completed 👍

I don't usually stab myself doing cross stitch as the needles are round-ended. But dressmaking, yes I stab myself all the time :lol:

erm....that is possibly where I go wrong then....

I use the wrong sort of needles....sharp pointy ones.....stabby fingers :lol:

Ah yes, my fingers would be pulp, I tried embroidery once. Never again. Lol

When a cross stitch has backstitch outlining that's done with a pointy needle, so kits which use backstitch include both round and pointy needles.

I did once insert a round needle in my thumb - I'd dropped it on the sofa and was running my hand in the gaps between cushions to find it. It hurt.

The fish....I have oodles of patience with (mainly cos I have no choice but to be patient)

Everything else...not on your life. If it does not work first time or it stabs me once too often it gets premature flying lessons

That’s actually super impressive

Wow! You are doing really good on it Essjay!
Cant wait to see the final product

That is beautiful, @Essjay!!!
I have tried cross-stitch before, but much simpler. I prefer embroidery.
That is gorgeous, and you must give a picture when you are done!!

Yesterday evening I finished the first row. The pattern is on 16 sheets in a 4 x 4 layout and I have now completed the first 4. That's 37520 stitches. It's taken just under 6 months so far so around another 18 months to finish :blink:

27 Dec 2022.jpg

I have just finished the second row, I'm now half way through. That's 75,200 stitches so far.

First two rows.JPG

The reason it's taking so long (5 months to do the second row) is not only that there are so many stiches, but because it uses 66 different colours. This is the pattern for the top right corner. I have to cross each stich out when it's done or I'd get lost.
top corner page 12.jpg

Another 10+ months till it's finished.

Wow Essjay this is amazing!

When I discovered this make I couldn't resist, there were just so many gorgeous kits and even my husband said to get this landscape one.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back