Crayfish Behaviour

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Supraman

Fishaholic
Reaction score
For the past two days my austrailian blue cray has been acting different, he is not moving around as much and has found a corner and will jus sit there for hours. I know he is eating, but what's worrying me is the fact that when he just sits in one spot his tail curls up under him. And when he does decide to walk there is no change. Also he seems like he is off balance and not walking straight.

I feed him a mixture of sinking shrimp pellets and peas ( he is currently eating a pea )

I have also seen him doing some things that lead me to believe he may be getting ready to molt but if that was the case why hasn't it started? I have caught him doing something that looked as though he was trying to pull his own claw off and then another thing I noticed was he did a movent as though a dog was dragging his rear end on carpet. I believe he trying to loosen off his old exoskeleton but I may be wrong as there are no other markings to go along with that.

Also on his body there are these odd red spots that almost look like burn marks?

Here are two quick pictures showing how he is sitting and the curled tail

4EE508DE-7477-46D1-A91C-B12203AF911E-1416-000001B2A3959913_zpsbd904c19.jpg

5AD08288-1F21-49C2-86DD-3732910637B6-1416-000001B2AB019A0F_zps36d4f4a1.jpg

Just a little update,

I've noticed that all day today my cray has again just sat in the same spot. This time not eating anything. Last night I was sure he was ready to molt, and now I'm not so sure. Any help would be great.

Oh water parameters are perfect too I do water changes daily but read that when they are getting ready to molt it's not a good idea to change the water due to it causing the cray to get " locked " when it tries to molt.

Well I figured out this is totally normal behaviour, and my crayfish is just getting ready to moult. By the looks of his shell, he should be moulting in a few hours! Here's hoping !

Most reactions

Back