Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Craft And Homebrew Thread

Discussion in 'Cooking and Recipes Forum' started by redpenguin01, Dec 26, 2011.

1. redpenguin01

redpenguin01 Member

Hey guys,

So many similarities with brewing and aquaria. Thought I'd start a thread celebrating the finer sides beer. Grab out your bottle openers and lets see what you have chilling in those mugs. :good: If any of you are homebrewers out there, feel free to share your current brews and/or projects.
    [​IMG]
    Image of my Extra Pale Ale (3 months in bottle).

Just brewed up some Black IPA (aka Cascadian Dark Ale) tonight. Glad to call this one my last brew of 2011. Should be nice to have during the harsher winter months. Still debating on whether to keg or bottle these up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cheers.
    ~RP

2. redpenguin01

redpenguin01 Member

This is a 3 month old double IPA I made. Well carbonated and pretty hoppy.
    [​IMG]

3. Nosphaer

Nosphaer Member

I think this is impressive, and it's a rather feasible thread idea.

I was once very interested in homebrew, yet all I ever managed to create was a cider wine. It turned out rather poorly, but I made a decent effort for a first try XD

4. DrRob

DrRob It's life Jim, but not as we know it.
    Retired Moderator

I've been known to knock up a brew. With the jungle of a garden I currently have nettle wine and beer have been considered, but mainly I'm planning a cider run next season, given the apple gluts we get.

5. micko

micko drive it like you stole it.

Never really tried any of these technical experiments when I used to drink. Prison hooch was as far as it went I'm afraid to say......

6. redpenguin01

redpenguin01 Member

I've actually made a few ciders. Pear cider was my absolute favorite. Here's one that has been aging for 10 months.
    [​IMG]
    I kegged the Black IPA a couple weekends ago and its coming around nicely. Finished out about 8.1% abv. Very much like a dark IPA at first taste, but with a nice background of chocolate and coffee grains. I would probably up the grain bills in this area to make them stand out more. Other than that, great recipe. Maybe I'll throw up a shot if I get some time.

7. fluttermoth

fluttermoth The current Mrs Treguard ;)
    Staff Member Moderator Global Moderator

I usually have a few gallons of homemade wine on the go and I make elderflower champagne for Christmas, but I've never made beer, or done things as scientically as you! I'm terribly impressed!

I'd quite like to have a go at cider; my mum's just moved to a house with a bramley apple tree in the garden and we were snowed under with apples last year. I did make some wine with them, but I'd love to try cider.

Apparently there's a village near us that does a 'come one, come all' cider pressing every year; you take your apples along and they press them and give you the juice, which I thought was mega cool!

8. redpenguin01

redpenguin01 Member

That sounds awesome fluttermoth. Freshly pressed cider would be perfect. :good:

Couple shots of the bIPA.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbWyO-2loEo

9. redpenguin01

redpenguin01 Member

New dIPA recipe. I brewed this up on 3/3/12.. I might bottle this one up this week or next week. Tastes very citrusy/pungent.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]