Covering Eheim 2026 Intake

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

shroob

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hi,

My ehiem 2026 recently sprung a leak, I think it was the gasket so I have now got a replacement part. I would like very much to get this filter back working in the tank, however the tank currently has some honduran red point fry in and I fear that if I simply just put the filter back in that they would get sucked into the intake.

I would like to put some filter floss I have around the intake which looks like this:
7471800.jpg

I just wondered if by wrapping some filter floos or sponge over the intake, if it would affect or even damage the filter? As I would rather not have it on than risk this.

Thanks

Not advisable at all - it will severely restrict the flow and greatfly affect water quality.
If you must - take a small piece of netting (like from a fine fish net) and secure it as a single layer with an elastic band.

Not advisable at all - it will severely restrict the flow and greatfly affect water quality.
If you must - take a small piece of netting (like from a fine fish net) and secure it as a single layer with an elastic band.

Yeah, thats what I was afraid of. I think I will just stick to the Juwels internal filter, the tanks very lightly stocked as it is, so it should be able to cope.

Thanks

may be a completley illy idea but what about getting a pair of tights, boil them to make sure there is no nasties on them cut a small bit off and cober the intake using a plastic cable tie to secure ??? not too sure how the tights will act in water for a long long time but should be ok as a temp measure ???????

I bought some pond sponge, big pores and cut a square off that and cut a X in the middle, the intake sits inside and no fry get sucked up and the water input is not restricted, however you do have to keep an eye on it to make sure that it doesn't get to gunky if it does just give it a good squeese to clean and remove gunk.

Goto the LFS and buy a replacement "air operated sponge filter" sponge..... they slip over the inlet pipe a treat ! BUT... make SURE it doesnt clog....

Sponge over the filter intake is an old discus breeder's trick. As long as you use open cell sponge, the type designed for use in filters you will not damage the filter at all. I used to do this all the time with filters before I set up a centralized system.

The sponge pre-filter will tend to get dirty, it takes quite a while before it plugs. To clean it remove it, leaving it submerged. Get a small cup, submerge that as well. Remove the sponge & cup together. If you just pull the sponge out it will dump accumulated waste into the tank.

I tried screen & netting long ago, it does work, but plugs easily. It is also a problem if it is flush with the intake, as it is no diffusing the flow. The fry will get sucked flat to this area, killing them just as good as if they got pulled into the filter.

I still use the sponge pre-filters over my siphon hose when doing water changes on fry tanks. This has shown me that it doesn't slow the water flow much at all, and keeps fry from going on a ride.

Thanks everyone, I'll see if I can find some filter sponge then. If not I might just order a sponge filter and cut that up.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back