Couple Of Questions

tiggely

New Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2008
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
St Louis MO
First, could I get some of your thoughts on using Cycle and/or StressZyme while doing fishless cycling on a new tank. Is it useful or just a waste? My initial ammonia reading was close to 8ppm (my own stupid mistake for putting in too much ammonia) so I did put some Cycle in. I decided to do a 25-30% water change to help get the ammonia down. It was still over 4ppm so I did another partial water change and I'm not sure about putting more Cycle in or not. I just checked the ammonia again and it is still up around 4ppm...so I'm going to do another water change. Should I add more Cycle after these water changes or just keep doing only the water changes and not add any more Cycle?
My second question is about ordering fish online. I know I have awhile to go until the tank gets cycled but I was wondering (preparing) if anyone that has ordered fish online and was happy/satisfied with their experience might be willing to share the name of the site they purchased from. Oops, a third question. I'd like to go with Honey and Cobalt Powder Blue gourami. How many could I comfortably keep in a Marineland Eclipse 12 System? Thank you! :rolleyes:
 
Hello and welcome to the forum. :hi:

First, those products, in the opinion of most people, are useless. I'm tried them and noticed no effects. Second, if you are doing a fishless cycle, don't worry about doing water changes unless your pH drops and stalls the process. Let the bacteria have time to develop. Just leave the tank and wait until the ammonia starts to drop ad you should then see a rise in nitrite. Usually, ammonia will start to drop in about 2 to 5 days.

I don't know about the stocking levels. I think you tank is close to the minimum size for the gouramis. You might want to start a thread in the Gouramis and Anabantoids forum and ask about that.
 
First, could I get some of your thoughts on using Cycle and/or StressZyme while doing fishless cycling on a new tank. Is it useful or just a waste?

I wouldn't go as far as saying that its a waste but i don't think it is a necessity.

My initial ammonia reading was close to 8ppm (my own stupid mistake for putting in too much ammonia) so I did put some Cycle in. I decided to do a 25-30% water change to help get the ammonia down. It was still over 4ppm so I did another partial water change and I'm not sure about putting more Cycle in or not. I just checked the ammonia again and it is still up around 4ppm...so I'm going to do another water change. Should I add more Cycle after these water changes or just keep doing only the water changes and not add any more Cycle?

It is purely the water change that is causing the ammonia level to go down,

My second question is about ordering fish online. I know I have awhile to go until the tank gets cycled but I was wondering (preparing) if anyone that has ordered fish online and was happy/satisfied with their experience might be willing to share the name of the site they purchased from.

not done personally but there are a number of sites that other people have successfully used

Oops, a third question. I'd like to go with Honey and Cobalt Powder Blue gourami. How many could I comfortably keep in a Marineland Eclipse 12 System? Thank you! :rolleyes:

had to google it but looks like a 12G, your maximum stocking IMO would be 4 gouramis, but only 1 Cobalt Dwarf as they can be quite territorial in smaller tanks.
 
I forgot to address the online ordering. I haven't done it but others do it with regularity. In the US, I think liveaquaria.com is pretty good. Shipping is th most expensive part as overnight will run at least $20 and can be much more depending on how much you order. Sometimes the shipping is almost more than the fish.
 
Such products are generally thought of as ineffective. I wouldn't recommend you buy any more as that would probably be a waste, but if you already have a bottle there wouldn't be any harm in adding it. You never know.
 
I forgot to address the online ordering. I haven't done it but others do it with regularity. In the US, I think liveaquaria.com is pretty good. Shipping is th most expensive part as overnight will run at least $20 and can be much more depending on how much you order. Sometimes the shipping is almost more than the fish.
whats the point in getting fish online when you can just get them from the shop wich is much quicker and you can see what health there in
 
I think the reason for online ordering is because ppl can't find what they want from the lfs
 
Most people don't have a true fish store nearby either and are left with the local chain like Petsmart, Petco, etc. They only carry the more common species so if you're looking for something a little more exotic, you have to go elsewhere. Also, people into guppies and bettas, just to ame a couple, like to buy online to get better quality fish than what the stores sell.
 
I think the reason for online ordering is because ppl can't find what they want from the lfs
crazyausssie, I couldn't have said it any better than rdd 1952 and nicnak. :rolleyes: Same ole same ole in the chain stores. But WOW the s/h is caaaraazzzyy. But, for the out of the ordinary and the better quality, you pay it.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top