Could this end bad?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

wtusa17

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have a trio of apistogramma cacatuoides in a 20 high community tank. Iā€™m changing that high to a long tomorrow and Iā€™m taking the high and setting it up just for the trio. Iā€™m taking a seeded sponge filter and some media from other tanks. I will add some drift wood and Indian almond leaves. Is it smart to add the apistogramma to the tank with a different filter and media? I know it works for other fish but since apistos can be sensitive I donā€™t want to risk anything

Actually any type of filters will work as long as they are properly cycled.

But even if the filters are not properly cycled when you have just started a new tank, there are many ways to make it work.

For initial stage (first 1-3 weeks) when the filter is new, just do more frequent water change to reduce the ammonia to zero or to as low as possible.
I have never lose a fish due to starting a new tank with new filter.
Reduce feeding during this period like once a day to once every 2-3 days.

The tank with only 3 Apistogrammas will definitely have lower bio-load.
For this tank, take a bit of old filter media to put into this tank to speed up the filter cycling.
For the other tank which have more fish, just use back your current filter.

Actually any type of filters will work as long as they are properly cycled.

But even if the filters are not properly cycled when you have just started a new tank, there are many ways to make it work.

For initial stage (first 1-3 weeks) when the filter is new, just do more frequent water change to reduce the ammonia to zero or to as low as possible.
I have never lose a fish due to starting a new tank with new filter.
Reduce feeding during this period like once a day to once every 2-3 days.

The tank with only 3 Apistogrammas will definitely have lower bio-load.
For this tank, take a bit of old filter media to put into this tank to speed up the filter cycling.
For the other tank which have more fish, just use back your current filter.
Thatā€™s what i plan to do. Itā€™s ok since the ā€œtankā€ isnā€™t cycled but the media is bc I know the apistogramma can be sensitive. I guess Iā€™ll just watch the parameters and do water changes

In the past, I used to have a few extra sponge filters in my tanks.
So, whenever I want to start a new tank, I just move the extra sponge filter to the new tank.

If you use a hang on filter, it's even easier to move the filter medias around.
Just move 1-2 pieces sponge pads from the old hang on filter to the new hang on filter.
My hang on filters are usually big with many sponge pads which make them useful for starting a new tank.

In the past, I used to have a few extra sponge filters in my tanks.
So, whenever I want to start a new tank, I just move the extra sponge filter to the new tank.

If you use a hang on filter, it's even easier to move the filter medias around.
Just move 1-2 pieces sponge pads from the old hang on filter to the new hang on filter.
My hang on filters are usually big with many sponge pads which make them useful for starting a new tank.
Ok. I understand how to do that bc Iā€™ve done it before but my main question is that is it ok that the apistogramma are in the tank right away as they are sensitive?

In my opinion, all fish are sensitive to ammonia and changes in a tank.
Usually, it's best not to make too much changes after the fish have settled in.

But there are times when you have to make changes where you have no choice.
For example, if the fish started to breed in a community tank, some people will move the fish out to a separate tank.
Or there are time where you want to move them to a bigger tank.

Though I may not be an expert, but I believe that as long as you can maintain the ammonia & nitrite to zero, have the same water chemistry (pH, GH, KH) and with plenty of plants, driftwoods, caves, hiding places, etc, they will be fine.

By the way, I think the biggest stress for the fish is when they are being transported from the fish farm to the fish stores and then from the fish store to our aquariums.

Recently, I saw a LFS at my place where they kept the Apistogramma in its original packing/bag even after it had arrived at the store for a few days.
I looked at the label on the packing and it was shipped 5 days ago and yet the fish is still sitting in the plastic bag that hasn't been opened. It was horrible.
Imagine a fish sitting in the same plastic bag with the same water and oxygen after 5 days. I think the fish would die soon.
And guess what kind of plastic bag they used?
It's a small bag and without much air inside. Most fish farms will pump oxygen into the bag to make it inflated but not for this case.

Anyway, it's ok to start a new tank when you really need it.
Just make sure to reuse some of your old filter medias and have frequent water change if you need to.
But for 3 small fish in a 20 gallons tank, I don't think there will be any problem at all.

In my opinion, all fish are sensitive to ammonia and changes in a tank.
Usually, it's best not to make too much changes after the fish have settled in.

But there are times when you have to make changes where you have no choice.
For example, if the fish started to breed in a community tank, some people will move the fish out to a separate tank.
Or there are time where you want to move them to a bigger tank.

Though I may not be an expert, but I believe that as long as you can maintain the ammonia & nitrite to zero, have the same water chemistry (pH, GH, KH) and with plenty of plants, driftwoods, caves, hiding places, etc, they will be fine.

By the way, I think the biggest stress for the fish is when they are being transported from the fish farm to the fish stores and then from the fish store to our aquariums.

Recently, I saw a LFS at my place where they kept the Apistogramma in its original packing/bag even after it had arrived at the store for a few days.
I looked at the label on the packing and it was shipped 5 days ago and yet the fish is still sitting in the plastic bag that hasn't been opened. It was horrible.
Imagine a fish sitting in the same plastic bag with the same water and oxygen after 5 days. I think the fish would die soon.
And guess what kind of plastic bag they used?
It's a small bag and without much air inside. Most fish farms will pump oxygen into the bag to make it inflated but not for this case.

Anyway, it's ok to start a new tank when you really need it.
Just make sure to reuse some of your old filter medias and have frequent water change if you need to.
But for 3 small fish in a 20 gallons tank, I don't think there will be any problem at all.
Ok thanks for the help. Iā€™ve done this method a few times but since the apistogramma were $40 a pair I donā€™t want to loose them. Thanks again

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back