Could I add a Bristlenose catfish to my tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

MiniMellow

Reaction score
Evening all so as the title says I would like to add a Bristlenose catfish to my tank but unsure if I can. So I have a 60ltr tank (dimensions are 42 height, 61 length and 33 wide cm that is) it’s filtered by a fluval u2 and is bare bottom. It’s currently inhabited by 3 platies, 5 endler guppies and 3 snails.
I do intend to upgrade after I move in the summer to the largest tank I’m allowed, if that’s important at all :D

I would not add a BN to this tank for a couple reasons. First, the tank is fairly small and plecos can produce a lot of waste. Which brings me to the second issue, the bare bottom. This is not good on a permanent basis; having no substrate is OK in a hospital tank when a diseased fish is being treated, and sometimes in fry tanks, but not in a permanent aquarium. The substrate is more important than a filter because of the many species of bacteria that live down there, and they are significant in maintaining a healthy environment. Sand or fine gravel is best, depending upon the fish (cories for instance should always be over sand).

You also need wood with a BN, they must have wood to graze for their digestive tract. Just mentioning in case you were not aware of this.

Last edited:
Well it was worth asking before I bought one then. Also I did have very fine gravel in my tank but I had to move my entire stock to the fry tank cause my other one burst, but never knew that it held bacteria I will add it back in today when I do a water change. Yes I knew about the wood, I already have 2 bits in there as I love the look of it.

Since I can not add a Bristlenose, any chance could add some otocinclus instead, as I believe they are smaller?
And while I remember to ask, would a zebra snail be okey to go into the same tank as my horned snails?

Before advising on otos or other species, what are your water parameters? Parameters means the GH (general or total hardness), KH (carbonate hardness of Alkalinity) and pH? Some fish have specific requirements.

Aside from that, otos are vegetarians, and will be wild caught, so they arrive in stores nearly starved. Having algae in the aquarium will allow them to settle, and they will learn to eat sinking algae-based foods but not always initially.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back