Cost Of Running Marine/reef Tank In Uk

jaarus

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
As you can see from my signature I currently have a few tanks on the go. These are all smallish, and all are tropical and scattered around the house.

We are going to put a large tank in the room at the end of the house as soon as the room is finished - thinking of a 7x2x2 (possibly an 8x2x2, as it all depends on against which wall we decide to put it!)
This is a great opportunity to try something new.
I like Cichlids and I absolutely LOVE Reef tanks but I have never attempted one before and I am aware they cost more to run than tropical but HOW MUCH MORE I am not sure. How does a reef tank compare to the cost of a saltwater tank for example?....no idea!

Now that is what I would really like to find out - so hoping someone here has already done the calculations!! - how much does each type of tank cost (very approximately) to run over the course of the year.

Say, rough annual running costs for a 7x2x2 including food, water/substrate additives, anything special you need - etc etc!:

Tropical (hi-tech planted) tank
Cichlid tank
Saltwater tank
Reef tank

I know its asking a lot but as I say I am hoping that someone here has already done the calculations - maybe not in comparison but they know how much their tank costs to run per year etc

Cheers all

I think this needs a few custom calculations. If you really want to do it (and be prepared to be frightened) then I guess it can broken down into several headings:

Electricity
Failure
Food
Water
Treatment/Additives

Electricity
The sum of all the gear your are running converted into KwH (as per the pricing from your energy provider) so powerheads, pumps, lighting, heating, skimming etc

Failure
Replacement of 'stuff' that are a wearable/perishable items so lighting tube/bulb changes, dont forget test kits which will set you back a few bob

Food
Look at your anticipated stock, what type of eaters are they and calculate from that

Water
Will you buy a RODI unit or buy from your LFS, you will need salty and fresh to top up with (can someone help with evaporation requirements?)

Treatments/Additives
Calcium, mag etc.

Hope this helps a bit...

My high tech planted tank cost in the region of about £900 to set up (including live stock, could be a bit more but I stopped co). Running costs are about £250-300 a year including electric, CO2, ferts, food, etc.

Currently planning a reef tank in the region of 150g (UK) and looking at about £1500-2500 (stil not decided on equipment yet) but this is only the setup cost and doesnt include livestock. It could be done a lot cheaper though (as could the planted tank).

Many thanks to you both for your replies.

As I stated I was aware that going SW does cost more than FW but wasn't sure exactly how much more, more really is! (if that makes sense)

The more I look into a reef tank or similar the more the figures quoted scare the living daylights out of me.
Think that dream will have to remain a dream for now :(

Again my sincere thanks to you both for your assistance - and best of luck with your planned 150g reef xxBarneyxx

nope, its not more expensive, too many variables. You said you want a high tech planted, well thats going to cost a lot, but comparing that to a low or even medium tech reef it will be around the same region.

:stupid:

After running high-tec tropical marine is much much better!

Yeah I would say a reef tank and high tech planted tank of the same size will cost about the same (though livestock in the marine tank will most likely cost more). You can have a nice setup on a budget. I just set a nano up for less then £300 (not including livestock) and if I had waited and just scanned through the local aquatic classified ads I could have got a fully set up system (with livestock) for less then that. I have seen some amazing setups going for sell at really low prices, if I had time to arrange transport and if I didnt want to do everything myself from scratch I could have got some really nice reef setups by now for much less then my planted tank cost.

It really can be done, just takes a little longer and is a little more work.

My marine tank stands in at

Tank £400 (sale price)
Lights £260
Skimmer £50 second hand
Return pump £30 (second hand)
Substrate and LS £40
Pipe work and SCWD £85
RO unit £80
LR £250
Salt £60
Testing equipment etc £180
Power Leads and Timers etc £50
Heater £20
Stock £275
Food £35

I have tried to include everything I have thought of to help give an idea of things that easily get overlooked and need replenishing too

Total is standing in at -

£1815 SOme are approximates but roughly accurate.

Most reactions

Back