Corys?

Final Dynazty

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I really want to try something new such as a cory and i was wondering if anyone could just give me some general info on them?

Generally small, 2-3 inches for most species. Except for the panda and pygmies, which stay smaller.

Their preferred substrate is sand. Fine gravel will do, but anything with sharp edges will destroy their delicate barbels.

High protein diet, feed sinking catfish pellets or similar items.

Hardy, and can tolerate most water conditions, as long as extremes are avoided.

Schooling fish, so get a MINIMUM of 3 fishes, 6 and above would be best.

Anything else you want to know? ;)

P.T.

I think that's pretty much all the same info I've seen. I don't want to deal with sand, until I get into marine tanks and/or puffers. Meh, I need a digital camera, that way I could post gravel pictures and be sure which was best for the cories out of the options. The LFS, should be able to tell me the smoothest gravel? Can you post a link/picture of acceptable gravel? Would the use of glass rock as an ornament, be something too sharp and that should be avoided with cories?

The gravel I use with cories is just natural-coloured aquarium gravel, about 2-3mm in size. just have a look at it and if it looks smooth and rounded, not spiky, then it's fine. :)

More info - keep the gravel nice and clean, as cories are substrate dwellers they will really notice if it's dirty

and they like shade, so get them some caves or some nice shady plants. :) also if you get pygmy cories get at least six.

Well I got two to start off with, I will be getting more soon. Do they eat algae? cuz thats what there doin right now. Do they like veggies and stuff, (what kind). Ok they seem to be doin fine a little hungry but ok. I have river rocks for substraight. Lots of plants, and two big pirate ships tomorrow I will put a slate cave in. But there eatin algae!!! I thought they diddn't anyway thanx for helpin if anyone has anymore advice plz help.

Although cories do fine on rounded gravel, their activity and behaviour is RADICALLY different on sand. They are much much more active and spend ages sifting sand and blowing it out of their gills.

If you want happy cories, sand is the option.

I saw dwarf cories for the first time today. I knew they were smaller than other species, but I hadn't realised how much smaller. They're tiny! and so, so cute. :wub:

Hi Final Dynazty :)

If your lfs is an independent rather than a chain, he may sell loose gravel for around .30 a pound or by the 50 pound bag for much less. This is natural, unpainted gravel and can be identified by number. I use number 3, but there are even smaller sizes. This is builders gravel and will be fine if you purchase from a lfs. If you get it from a building supply store, be certain that it is rounded with no sharp edges. :D

Well right now i have pebbles river rocks and the tank is an already cycled tank and i really dont want to cycle it again, cuz i will if i change the gravel. Anyways It dosn't look to good I just put them under alot of stress Cuz i had to take them out of the 55 and put them into the 20. There was a food competition between them and the IRR. sharks. So they needed to be taken out or they would have starved, so they are really breathing hard and not lookin so good i hope they make it. But thanx guys for your info.

Ok there breathing has slown down quite a bit. so thats good. They started to move around but i am still concerned.

Hi Final Dynazty :)

How are your corys today? :unsure:

Most corys like to eat and will do it whenever they have the opportunity, but yours were stressed. I hope they have had a chance to rest overnight and have recovered by now. :nod:

There movin around and exploring the tank and stickin together which is really kool. But there movin around and lookin good. Thanx for askin though.

Most reactions

Back