Corydoras eversi

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Byron

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
This species was described in 2016 but I missed it then, and as it is such a beauty I thought some might not be aware of it.

After the analysis of some Corydoras specimens captured by Hans-Georg Evers during an expedition in Brazil, a new short-snouted species with similar color pattern to C. araguaiaensis was revealed, now described as Corydoras eversi Tencatt and Britto, 2016. The describers say it remains this golden orange colour in the aquarium.

From the paper: Etymology. Corydoras eversi is named in honor of Hans-Georg Evers, a dear friend and great enthusiast in the fishkeeping hobby, especially in the breeding of Corydoras species. Hans collected the specimens of C. eversi that apparently originated all the stock present in the hobby until the present day and also the specimens used herein for the description.​

This species occurs in the Rio Araguaia basin in Brazil, which also holds the species C. araguaiaensis Sands, 1990, C. cochui Myers & Weitzman, 1954, and C. maculifer Nijssen & Isbrücker, 1971.

Ian Fuller and H-G Evers authored the book Identifying Corydoradinae Catfish. Aspidoras-Brochis-Corydoras-Scleromystax & C numbers. Evers developed the "C" numbering system (explained in the book), and Fuller continued this with "CW" numbering which has replaced the older "C" system for newly described species in the Corydoradinae family which contains the genera Aspidoras, Corydoras and Scleromystax.

Attachments

• Corydoras eversi.jpg
    Corydoras eversi.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 41
Even if I never get to see any of these species alive, the research is very cool. It seems to bother some members that people spend time learning and studying fish, but it's hard to take that seriously.
So many of these fish are being found because deforestation is destroying habitats. The logging companies open roads to remove wood, and scientists and adventurers follow those roads to streams we could never have gotten to before. We're finding these wonders with one hand, our curious one, and killing them with our practical global economy.

Another cracking wee cory.These are good educational posts Byron.Keep them coming for us Cory lovers👍.
I hadn't even heard of the eversi,so another new one for me.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back