Corydoras discussion

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys this is more of a discussion which is often debated and disagreed on. What do people think in regards to grouping corydoras. Can you group one black Venezuelan Cory with 4 bronze corys for example. The main reason I say this is due to the fact my local fishkeeper keeps a salt and pepper Cory with 4 bronze corys and they get on amazing! But everything I’ve read suggest this won’t work so just interested what people think

Its would be better to have a couple of each type, but as ling as its among other cories it should be fine

Its would be better to have a couple of each type, but as ling as its among other cories it should be fine
I do agree it’s just quite interesting to think why this happens. Though my Pygmy cories love the bronze corys and feel safe with them you can kinda tell the bronze corys stick/ play a lot more with the albino corys

Probably the weirdest thing of all is how well my glowlight danio get on with the Pygmy cories to the point they basically play together! Who’d have thought eyy

I just started keeping cories but I put in 5 pandas first. Two weeks later I added 5 bronze cories. They just mixed all up. They all play and eat together. I may have a bronze and a panda playing in one corner and 2 pandas in another. They don’t seem to care.

I just started keeping cories but I put in 5 pandas first. Two weeks later I added 5 bronze cories. They just mixed all up. They all play and eat together. I may have a bronze and a panda playing in one corner and 2 pandas in another. They don’t seem to care.
Yeah I feel like they can’t rly tell the difference

I got a huge hodgepodge in my 46 of different cories. 8 are aeneus (normal and albino). Theres also some oddballs of weitzmani, sterbai, ambiacus, and leucomelas. They do have a preference to be with their own species, but they do all chill together in big cory piles. But if an aeneus swims off, its usually aeneus who follow it. If a leucomelas swims off, the other leucomelas is right after him.

I have 17 total and they do all mingle, but do also like to associate with their own as well.

Its kinda like people with different languages. Sure, lots of people around would make you feel comfortable (unless you are socialphobic like myself), but you would be even happier if you spoke the same language as at least one of them.

So while my bigger tank has a mix, i try to be sure everyone at least has a friend or two of their own. Except the Ambiacus because he is impossible to locate more of in my country unless by total fluke like he was. My smaller tanks are kept to 1 species only for cories.

If you only have space for a small shoal (6-8) stick to one species.
Larger tanks can fit more and theyd love a huge group and gives more freedom to mix if you want to.

I got a huge hodgepodge in my 46 of different cories. 8 are aeneus (normal and albino). Theres also some oddballs of weitzmani, sterbai, ambiacus, and leucomelas. They do have a preference to be with their own species, but they do all chill together in big cory piles. But if an aeneus swims off, its usually aeneus who follow it. If a leucomelas swims off, the other leucomelas is right after him.

I have 17 total and they do all mingle, but do also like to associate with their own as well.

Its kinda like people with different languages. Sure, lots of people around would make you feel comfortable (unless you are socialphobic like myself), but you would be even happier if you spoke the same language as at least one of them.

So while my bigger tank has a mix, i try to be sure everyone at least has a friend or two of their own. Except the Ambiacus because he is impossible to locate more of in my country unless by total fluke like he was.

Larger tanks can fit more and theyd love a huge group and gives more freedom to mix if you want to.
Yeah makes total sense that! At the minute I only have Pygmy corys and bronze corys with 2 being albinos in the group. I’ve seen myself immediately drawn to corys and feel like I’m gonna struggle to have tanks without them now! Especially the all black Venezuelan corys look incredible or the orange and blue Venezuelan Equis corys I believe is what they’re called. Their temperament and look just really appeals

So while my bigger tank has a mix, i try to be sure everyone at least has a friend or two of their own. Except the Ambiacus because he is impossible to locate more of in my country unless by total fluke like he was. My smaller tanks are kept to 1 species only for cories.

I’ve never seen an ambiacus do you have a photo?

Yeah makes total sense that! At the minute I only have Pygmy corys and bronze corys with 2 being albinos in the group. I’ve seen myself immediately drawn to corys and feel like I’m gonna struggle to have tanks without them now! Especially the all black Venezuelan corys look incredible or the orange and blue Venezuelan Equis corys I believe is what they’re called. Their temperament and look just really appeals
Personally the only problems id have mixing these is that the pygmies are super super small while the bronze girls can get really big. There may be some struggles for food with the pygmies. Watch that close, if they seem to struggle or seem thin, best move them to their own tank :) they dont compete well with more boisterous cories.

I got them too, but in my 10g nano tank.

I’ve never seen an ambiacus do you have a photo?
Couple photos of him. I actually got the Leucomelas to try to give him buddies that look more like him because i cant special order, online order, nothing for more ambiacus.
received_539045076988979.jpeg
received_222211155648524.jpeg

Personally the only problems id have mixing these is that the pygmies are super super small while the bronze girls can get really big. There may be some struggles for food with the pygmies. Watch that close, if they seem to struggle or seem thin, best move them to their own tank :) they dont compete well with more boisterous cories.

I got them too, but in my 10g nano tank.
Thanks for that advice I ll look out for that! I’ve acc surprisingly had the opposite problem where I’ve been shocked how big the little fellas have got so quickly without me over feeding them really (maybe a bit at the start when was new!) there’s one that’s alwaus been smaller than the others but he’s a feisty fella and loves the company of the big boisterous ones. Quite an interesting dynamic. If anything changes I’ve got a spare tank so can alwuas move them

You can house different species together as long as they're compatible, but if you are having a minimum group number I would stick with one species. I would rather have a group of 9 albinos than a group of mix and match.

My own observations match many on here. I keep c.paleatus and c.sterbai in the same tank. I have had the sterbai for ages and a few months ago I got down to 1 left as the others succumbed to old age. He did become quite withdrawn. He would come out with the peppers but when I got him 10 sterbai friends his personalty changed completely. I though it may just have been age but now he acts like a little kid again :fish:

They do often hang out together of in mixed groups, but if possible ensure that they do have some of their own kind.

Most reactions

Back