Corydoras Cross Breeding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DomH

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have bought two different types of corydoras the lazer green and orange lazer and was wondering if they crossbreed. If they do, do they make a bad hybrid?

Thanks all

Yes they'll hybridize.
I'd be sure the eggs are removed when they spawn.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

Yes the orange and green lasers will cross breed, in fact I am pretty sure that they will cross with any Aeneus species such as Bronze, Albino (aeneus) and even Black. It is not a good idea to cross corydoras catfish because if they later are sold on to other people they could be fooled into paying top dollar for a rarer/ more expensive fish not realising that it was not a pure specimen of the species, and therefore not suitable for future breeding programs.

The best advice for any eggs seen in the tank is to dispose of them, because you can never be 100% sure which eggs where from which pairing of the two morphs/ colour variations.

Baccus said:
Yes the orange and green lasers will cross breed, in fact I am pretty sure that they will cross with any Aeneus species such as Bronze, Albino (aeneus) and even Black. It is not a good idea to cross corydoras catfish because if they later are sold on to other people they could be fooled into paying top dollar for a rarer/ more expensive fish not realising that it was not a pure specimen of the species, and therefore not suitable for future breeding programs.

The best advice for any eggs seen in the tank is to dispose of them, because you can never be 100% sure which eggs where from which pairing of the two morphs/ colour variations.
They are not color morphs / variaties but two different species.

there is an alternative .... you could keep any hybrid babies or pass them on to a friend with a strong warning that they are never to enter the trade. I had a batch of smudge-spot x panda cories. They now live in my Dad's tank. I have one in my main tank that's evaded capture up until now. 

Generally hybrids are infertile so it's unlikely they will breed themselves

Akasha72 said:
there is an alternative .... you could keep any hybrid babies or pass them on to a friend with a strong warning that they are never to enter the trade. I had a batch of smudge-spot x panda cories. They now live in my Dad's tank. I have one in my main tank that's evaded capture up until now. 

Generally hybrids are infertile so it's unlikely they will breed themselves
Knowing Corys can live 25-40 years I wouldn't take that risk. We all know yours were accidentally hybridized, but when one could prevent this I seriously wouldn't go for an alternative like this.
I know a lot of friends that ended their hobby within a period of 5 years or so.
So even hybridized Corys will spread against all good intentions and promisses.

Kind regards Aad

wow ... I didn't know cories can live that long! I thought roughly 10 years

I concur with most of what has been mentioned.  Many Corydoras species are more likely to hybridise in the artificial confines of an aquarium.  Species that would never even meet in their respective habitats, when forced into close confinement, may react differently from what one might expect.

While phylogenetically it now seems that there are nine distinct lineages within the "genus" Corydoras, meaning nine different but related genera--and most will maintain that fish will not hybridise across genera--the lineages in this family (Corydoradinae) are obviously very closely related.  The three "Brochis" species for example are now within the genus Corydoras, because they share a lineage with two (going from memory, think it is two) other Corydoras species and are not distinct on their own, in spite of their external physical differences.

I am not aware that the "laser" types have been described as distinct species.  They still retain the "C" number without a scientific taxonomy.  Ian Fuller has written that there are differences in the fry, suggesting distinct species, but again I am not aware that this has been determined "officially" by ichthyologists describing the species and this has to occur.  Corydoras aeneus has such an enormous range over the northern half of South America and onto the island of Trinidad that it is highly unlikely this is one distinct species, since these many populations are geographically isolated; though whether there are distinct species, subspecies, or geographical variants, I am not sure as to my knowledge this has not been sorted out.  But if anyone has such data, I would welcome a link.

Byron. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back